Help on first gig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help on first gig

Hey DJTT, I am having my first official gig at a big venue in Seattle called Studio 7. I am really excited to do it but also really scared on things like messing up or something going wrong...I was hoping maybe you had some re assuring assistance or tips you guys could give me. It would be real cool. My act is Dubstep and Trap. I am splitting my set time with a friend of mine and we have about an hour set time. We are both using the traktor Kontrol S2 and my laptop. I was wondering if maybe someone had some ideas on set Prep and stuff. This is my flyer im using
    flyer.jpg

Also here is the event page if you live in seattle and want to come check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/?q=#/events...an_user_joined

Also any tips at all would be nice. Thanks

Stay calm and be prepared!
    -Bring twice the amount of music you'll need
    -Don't forget stuff like chargers, cables, adapters..
    -Be professional
    Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

Tech Mentor

Tip: Make sure you have all your gear, plan a couple of different directions for your set list to go. Start out in the middle of the road, and make two branching playlists for "yeah they're feeling it, turn up the beat!" or "nah, they don't like it, let's try something different." I found that early on this technique was good for me, before I knew how to really read a crowd from song to song, and that is a skill that you can only learn from playing in front of a crowd! You can't practice it at home!

Reassurance: Is it an hour each, or an hour split between the two of you? Either way, those are both wicked short sets, and you'll be done before you know it! You won't have time to be nervous.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Alright thnx
    Quote Originally Posted by DJKyleHughes View Post
    Stay calm and be prepared!
    -Bring twice the amount of music you'll need
    -Don't forget stuff like chargers, cables, adapters..
    -Be professional
    Have fun!

Thnx man. I like the idea on the two sets to go if they feeling it or not and also its an hour set but 30 minute split between us. so yeah i guess ill be good
    Quote Originally Posted by Culture_Shock View Post
    Tip: Make sure you have all your gear, plan a couple of different directions for your set list to go. Start out in the middle of the road, and make two branching playlists for "yeah they're feeling it, turn up the beat!" or "nah, they don't like it, let's try something different." I found that early on this technique was good for me, before I knew how to really read a crowd from song to song, and that is a skill that you can only learn from playing in front of a crowd! You can't practice it at home!

Reassurance: Is it an hour each, or an hour split between the two of you? Either way, those are both wicked short sets, and you'll be done before you know it! You won't have time to be nervous.

Well actually wouldnt really call that a "gig" there was 14 people i had a NDX-400 and a x6 mixer with my second channel being itunes so uhh yeah. But now its at a actual big venue.

you're doing dubstep?
    may the force be with you, that stuff doesn't fly out here.. get pulled off the decks faster than anything if the venue isn't used to it

Honestly? Just play like you would at home, but pay attention to the crowd and see what they are feeding off of and digging. If you find people aren't dancing? Switching it up is never a bad option.

Come prepared with a BIG setlist. I usually have 100 songs per hour of mixing I plan on doing. Have your friend have his own separate playlist of his own stuff as well.

I recently did a tag-team set with one of my best friends. He's been mixing for a long while now, but we used my equipment. He had a portable hard-drive and we used Serato with vinyl. Loaded all of his tracks on his computer, analyzed them with Serato, ran them through mixed-in-key (as I try and mix harmonically) and then made him a playlist in iTunes with his selection. Loaded it in Serato along side my playlists, and good to go. Went perfectly and one of the best nights I've had out in awhile, even though there weren't many people. But spinning to a crowd with your friends? What a great feeling. Playing those tracks you love on a big system? ADDICTING.

Just have a blast with it!
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast