Newbie question - Genre ??
    Tech Convert

Default Newbie question - Genre ??

Hi there everyone, I'm new to the forum and just want to make sure I'm posting things in the correct places. If there's a different place I should post this, please let me know. I'm looking forward to learning and growing my musik through this forum.

My question is kind of a silly one but maybe some of you could help. There's so many different genre's of electronic music so I just listen to all types and generally like most styles, but because of that my music that I create doesn't "fit" in a specific genre that I can put my finger on. Could any of you take a listen to a few of my songs on soundcloud and give me your opinion? I promise I'm not spamming, I truly would like the feedback. People ask me what kind of music I play, and I always give a different answer.. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by padi_04; 02-18-2013 at 09:34 PM.

This seems like spam because I find it hard to believe you don't know the genre of the music you make.

Then I had a listen and I haven't got a clue - Ambient Techno ?

Or maybe it's one of the new genres - trap, flap, pap, whatever they're called...
    SC | MC

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    This seems like spam because I find it hard to believe you don't know the genre of the music you make.

Then I had a listen and I haven't got a clue - Ambient Techno ?

Or maybe it's one of the new genres - trap, flap, pap, whatever they're called...

See what I mean? I guess it's a good thing to be different but when I'm putting my music online or submitting to labels, etc it's hard to know what genre to pick. I just make what sounds good to me and end up with this eclectic library of songs. but the trap-flap-pap genre sounds interesting

Thanks for actually listening and not blasting me too bad

Just label it Experimental, or Spasmagostic-al.
    Last edited by Ham; 02-18-2013 at 08:54 PM.

EAT : Experimental Ambient Techno

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    EAT : Experimental Ambient Techno
    Nice, I like that!

Tech Mentor

I was going to go with "Tech-trance" until the breakbeat came in, due to the oompah bass combined with techno drums.. there isn't really a scene for Tech-trance/Tranceno afaict.. only a few artists here and there. The breakbeats bring it towards the generic catchall term "IDM" and then the second break could give it "Experimental" tag...

"Experimental Tech-Trance" ? Not a very useful suggestion, I'm afraid.

FWIW, I like it! Interesting/futuristic sounding stuff. Might be kinda hard to DJ given the overall phrasing.
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt