How to DJ a live performance with APC40? HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How to DJ a live performance with APC40? HELP!

Hey,
    I have been producing in ableton for a little bit now and use an s4 and f1 to dj with. Kinda over traktor and not being in "complete" control of my music and really love how the apc40 works.
    Now i just wanted to know what i would need to play live.
    Sound card/Audio interface?
    External hard drive?

Are all of those a must and am i missing anything?

thank you!
    Last edited by padi_04; 02-18-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo

An audio interface would be necessary yes, the an external hard drive is just optional.

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

Plugging the master of a venue into your laptop's 3.5 mm in wouldn't be a great idea.
    Maybe an audio interface with phantom power for certain mics.
    Last edited by padi_04; 02-18-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Tech Wizard

i use an apc40 with an m audio fast track pro. works great. i just set all my songs as clips and use everything else for effects/EQs/volume faders. you shouldnt need an external.

Tech Wizard

Default apc 40

so as a best option though would i get the apc40 and an external mixer? would i need anything more than that?

Talent?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

No....

APC40 and a Sound Card.

Not external mixer. You have all you need as a mixer on the APC and Ableton.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I just started djing about a month ago so take this for what its worth....

When it comes to being new, the leasr amount of gear the better.

I had an apc40, hand me down mixer and MF pro all hooked up. To say the least, there was just too much gear there for me to mess with. I was bouncing around trying to use all of it and was just not learning anything.

So about a week ago I disconnected the mixer and MF and threw them in a box and just focused on the apc40. After only 2 days I was atleast mixing a string of songs together using different mixing techniques and throwing in some LIGHT effects.

The conclussion I came to was all the gear was limiting how fast i learned the basics which should be the most important. I still want to hook the mixer back up in the near future but I want to squeeze every ounce out of the apc40 until I add more gear.

When it comes to being a newbie, more gear=more confusion.

I currently am moving over to an Ableton-centric live performance setup. I use an Audio 2 and plug into the house mixer at the club I'm a resident at. Very quick setup and the APC40 has been an amazing tool!

I previously had a Launchpad as well so use that for drum racks and sample sequencing on-the-fly and I've been finding it useful to incorporate into my setup as well.....but thinking a Midifighter might be a better fit for the quick arcade buttons that are more suitable for finger drumming and etc.

However.....I can just put my APC into the gig bag and just play with that if I want.

I also learned off CDJs so if all else fails.....I have my trusty USB sticks and CDs for any type of club situation. Just be prepared for anything!!!
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

If you already have the F1. I would keep that, and get a Allen and Heath k2

As William Gibson said, the less the better.

use this with the F1: forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=67153

Use the k2 as your soundcard and map it to work like a normal mixer.. Faders for vol, knobs for eq.

The remote script will let you use the F1 like a launchpad with 4 faders and 4 knobs. Basically a mini apc20.

Going from traktor to ableton for playing live can be a bit overwhelming for some people. Doing it this way would allow you to set ableton up in a way you're more use to with traktor(4 decks of just tracks) making the switch over easier. Best of all you only need 1 power cable, and that's just for the notebook. as the apc 20/40 isn't buss powered.

After you're use to warping tracks and midi mapping in ableton along with using it for playing live, you can get an apc20/40 or whatever and still be able to use the k2 and f1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast