TraktorS4 with PC
    Tech Convert

Default TraktorS4 with PC

When using Traktor with PC, should firewall, anti-virus protection, anti-spyware and internet be off. Can it interfare with the performance of the TraktorS4 when on. eg: cutting off between songs occasionally.

Tech Guru

Anti-virus is a possible cause of performance problems, but you should only disable things if you are having problems.

WiFi is a more likely culprit and should usually be disabled when using Traktor.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djtron View Post
    When using Traktor with PC, should firewall, anti-virus protection, anti-spyware and internet be off. Can it interfare with the performance of the TraktorS4 when on. eg: cutting off between songs occasionally.
    Any running program increases CPU load. If your CPU is strong enough to handle that then there is no need to turn them off. To see if your PC can handle all the running programs while using Traktor, you can use DPC latency check to test whether you get any audio dropout.

I don't know how strong your laptop is, but most of the time turning off Internet and anti-virus program is recommended.

Tech Guru

A lot of people who DJ with a PC run a dual boot with a stripped down operating system or they make a bunch of tweaks before a gig.

Check out SmiTTTen's guide.

and review this for more info:

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=38974

Tech Guru

I also find some processes such as iTunesHelper and SpotifyHelper are worth killing, definitely wifi if you're at a gig and I also tend to kill antivirus when playing out/radio shows.

At home, alongside the gig laptop; I've got Traktor 2.6 running on a dog old, early AMD Athlon Dual Core 3800 from something like 2005 and it still runs fine - I notice that its the background processes that cause the biggest problems, especially those that like to do updates in the background. Turn all those off and it helps a lot. Also run Traktor in full screen mode, not sure why, but that has always yielded the best results.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.