A little help with my DIY controller :)

Default A little help with my DIY controller :)

I am creating and crafting an xy pad controller. The xy pad is glass surfaced. I would like to make it have something similar to a plasma globe (plasma ball) where the current follows your finger when it is applied to the pad! NO CLUE HOW THIS WORKS! Is there any way that I can go about doing this?
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Tech Mentor

Well, a bit of research tells me that plasma balls work because they're filled with gas (a mixture of various noble gasses), with a high powered electrical transformer in the middle. Overall...I'm gonna say that this probably isn't a Do It Yourself kind of exercise.

I won't deny that it's an awesome idea, but probably not something you can do at home - especially as it involves gas, the unit would have to be completely and specially sealed. Also, they can possibly cause interference with electronic equipment...so obviously not good when you're DJing.

I don't know if there are other ways to produce a similar effect.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Tech Guru

That's what he wants to make. You need a conductive screen like a tablet. IMO, you're better off buying a tablet and writing code.

Tech Mentor

Well....if anyone does nail the plasma ball idea...let us all know

Im thinking about doing some sort of rbg type thing that has a mapped output to control the the color and brightness depending to the positioning. I think that may just be the better way about doing it. (And less deadly since it doesnt involve noble gasses lol). Other than that, I do plan on using a screen (Nintendo ds screen) that can be converted into an xy type pad.
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Tech Mentor

Oh don't worry about the gases thing if you're trying to do something like from the video Slvr posted, I had something totally different in mind :P

Tech Guru

^. All you need to do is figure out a formula for how you want the scaling to control the effects. That's the hard part IMO. Coding shouldn't be very difficult.

That said, if you have no experience with programming, it will be hell.