What program should I start producing with?

Default What program should I start producing with?

Hi, I've been a DJ for about a year, well depends on what you call DJing. I have turntables, an X1 and Traktor. I just mess around and try to get better anyway. I'm 16 almost 17 and I want to get into producing. I got the Mashine and it's confusing as fuck so i wanted to know if i should learn on a different program or just stick with this one. So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by padi_04; 02-20-2013 at 02:35 PM.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

PLEASE divide your posts into sentences in the future, otherwise users are unlikely to help you. Also, use the search function, there are tons of threads discussing different DAWs and suggestions on what should people consider to produce with.

Mod edit: Made the post somewhat legible and moved to the proper subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Mod edit: Made the post somewhat legible and moved to the proper subforum.
    hollly crap thank you! I was going to suggest as a program to start with, would be this new machine called "Spell check"
    but thats just me being an ass lol. take no offence monkeytoy.

But yes, i wanted to answer your question but it would have created yet another topic already covered extensivly.
    take time to search

Tech Convert

Maschine is great, thats where i started. I found that it alone did not cover my needs. I reccomend getting a DAW, I prefer Ableton. I have always found Maschine difficult for arrangement. Plus its hard for me to nail the levels in maschine.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Djmonkeytoy View Post
    Hi, I've been a DJ for about a year, well depends on what you call DJing. I have turntables, an X1 and Traktor. I just mess around and try to get better anyway. I'm 16 almost 17 and I want to get into producing. I got the Mashine and it's confusing as fuck so i wanted to know if i should learn on a different program or just stick with this one. So what do you guys think?
    Stick with Maschine. Stick with learning what you have, and only one tool at a time until you master it before trying to learn another tool. Maschine is about the most intuitive thing to learn there is, especially if you learn to do everything from the hardware. It's a very powerful tool.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Agreed, if you have Maschine, it's all you need to get started, without having a plethora of options to confuse you. And you can make full tracks in it.

If you are confused by it, I have to say, read the manual while working with the software. Nobody reads manuals I know, but to be honest, it's quite well written and you can get through a lot of it quickly. And yes, try to use the controller only to do things, you'll get really quick at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Djmonkeytoy View Post
    I got the Mashine and it's confusing as fuck so i wanted to know if i should learn on a different program or just stick with this one. So what do you guys think?
    Maschine is almost everything you need. Just keep on learning.
    Or give some kind of DAW like e.g. Ableton Live, Logic, Cubase, Studio One or Protools a try. If this doesn't work for you, as well, think about leaving the music production area.
    I would suggest: Stick to Maschine, dive into it, have a look at what people can do with their Maschine (hundreds of videos and tutorials on youtube) and learn by doing.
    Music production is a time consuming hobby. Most famous music producers out there have needed 5 to 10 years to reach their actual level of music production quality. It's nothing that's done in a few weeks. So be patient and take your time!
    The NI trio - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Maschine - Komplete - and some more gear...

Tech Guru

New Maschine owner here, having added it to my Reason setup. Stick with Maschine as others have said, very intuitive and personally I think you could easily get lost in the other DAWs if you're struggling a little with Maschine right now. Reason for example is superb and very powerful but because there is so much in there it can be very daunting. Like any software, spend quality time with it and learn, it's the best way.

However by all means grab demos of all the other DAWs and test them out, see which make sense to your workflow. I keep trying Ableton but have found it a struggle - mainly due to lack of time with it and I always head back to Reason - I know plenty of people who are the other way around, it's all about what you know well. All DAW's will allow good music to be made.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.