Traktor DJ iOS App - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

I would like all of the tracks that I keep on my SSD on my computer with TSP2 to also be on my iPad, but use a lot of FLAC files. What would you recommend?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    1. Yes TDJ plays AIFF tracks although I have not prepped one and imported the metadata. I just tried one to see if the format works.

2. Since this audio card is not on the market yet (in the UK) Im not gonna say yes but, I have a a loooong good look at it and I assume it will work but NOT in external mixing mode in the current version of TDJ . I hope that feature will be implemented in a version soon.
    I have been thinking of getting one, i even called a store about availability and they say another 2 months and about £500 which is way too expensive even if it does charge the iPad.

You USA guys will get it for a much better price.

If the UK price comes down I may get one. Charging the iPad and providing audio seems to be like the hunt for the Holy Grail.
    So, here are my initial thoughts on the app after using it last night for the first time (picked up the 128 GB iPad with Retina last night too).

1) I miss colored waveforms. Badly. They give so much information that I didn't realize how much until I went back to monochrome colored waveforms. I hope they add that in as future feature (maybe it has to do with CPU load for rendering and backwards compatibility to iPad 2?)

2) True two deck stereo split for external mixing is a must - but understood that the workaround exists already. So, lower in the scale of wants.

3) again, the obvious improvements needed for the browser. I realized how much I use comments and fields found in Traktor after being relegated down to just a few and a recommendation engine (that is cool, but is no substitute for TSP2 track preparation and commenting/tagging for when playing).

4) Here is the biggie: Both decks need a nudge option. Possibly on master BPM too (which would help sync Traktor DJ to external tracks you may be trying to mix in or out of - i.e. a drum machine, CDJ, etc.). Without that, you have to manually adjust the other source to match Traktor DJ. I tried to use cue point start playback to beat sync to another source - but it was rough, at best.

5) although I prepped my AIFF tracks in TSP2, Traktor DJ appeared to still have to analyze the tracks when I imported them in via a playlist - and I'm left wondering if it is using my beatgrid that I already locked in TSP2, or did it override those and put in its new beat grid? I thought waveform, cue points, grid were transferred from TSP2 to Traktor DJ if already determined?

6) Audio quality doesn't seem as high coming out from the iPad itself compared to TSP2 running out of my XoneB4. This probably requires a big DUH, but I'll do a true A/B comparison once i get the Apogee interface to see if there is parity or improvement.

After using it last night for awhile, it also occurred to me that there is some need to practice and get used to using it as a true mixing interface, tactile input, etc. That's not a bad thing, but some regular use should be required if you want to get comfortable with workflow/selection, playing loops, etc. But is very responsive and very well designed for a 1.0 interface.

I'm impressed - but definitely not convinced that it is ready for prime time usage (in the way it was marketed via Hawtin using it in a club situation). The above suggested improvements go a long way towards easing the transition away from laptop based DJing to solely using an iPad (or two for 4 tracks), soundcards, and a DJ mixer. That would be pretty awesome - but no dice yet.

Hopefully soon though. I have high hopes for this app. It'd be neat if we could end up using touch based interfaces and no laptop when playing out. That's a nice evolution from where we've been at for the last few years.

Known as Robtronik.

http://www.facebook.com.com/djrobtronik | Visit, Like, Stay in touch.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    im guessing it gives a mono master mix and a mono cue mix...each mono out probably being the stereo signal summed
    Yeah that's a good way to put it. It sums the stereo out into mono on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    So If a song has two discrete harmonizing backup vocals recorded in stereo, Let's say Gina is backup vocal Left channel and Pedro is backup vocal Right channel, you will only hear Gina in your headphones (CUE) and you will only hear Pedro in your main speakers (MASTER). And you will lose the harmony completely.

>
    No because of the above quote.

Quote Originally Posted by robtronik View Post
    So, here are my initial thoughts on the app after using it last night for the first time (picked up the 128 GB iPad with Retina last night too).

1) I miss colored waveforms. Badly. They give so much information that I didn't realize how much until I went back to monochrome colored waveforms. I hope they add that in as future feature (maybe it has to do with CPU load for rendering and backwards compatibility to iPad 2?)

2) True two deck stereo split for external mixing is a must - but understood that the workaround exists already. So, lower in the scale of wants.

3) again, the obvious improvements needed for the browser. I realized how much I use comments and fields found in Traktor after being relegated down to just a few and a recommendation engine (that is cool, but is no substitute for TSP2 track preparation and commenting/tagging for when playing).

4) Here is the biggie: Both decks need a nudge option. Possibly on master BPM too (which would help sync Traktor DJ to external tracks you may be trying to mix in or out of - i.e. a drum machine, CDJ, etc.). Without that, you have to manually adjust the other source to match Traktor DJ. I tried to use cue point start playback to beat sync to another source - but it was rough, at best.

5) although I prepped my AIFF tracks in TSP2, Traktor DJ appeared to still have to analyze the tracks when I imported them in via a playlist - and I'm left wondering if it is using my beatgrid that I already locked in TSP2, or did it override those and put in its new beat grid? I thought waveform, cue points, grid were transferred from TSP2 to Traktor DJ if already determined?

6) Audio quality doesn't seem as high coming out from the iPad itself compared to TSP2 running out of my XoneB4. This probably requires a big DUH, but I'll do a true A/B comparison once i get the Apogee interface to see if there is parity or improvement.

After using it last night for awhile, it also occurred to me that there is some need to practice and get used to using it as a true mixing interface, tactile input, etc. That's not a bad thing, but some regular use should be required if you want to get comfortable with workflow/selection, playing loops, etc. But is very responsive and very well designed for a 1.0 interface.

I'm impressed - but definitely not convinced that it is ready for prime time usage (in the way it was marketed via Hawtin using it in a club situation). The above suggested improvements go a long way towards easing the transition away from laptop based DJing to solely using an iPad (or two for 4 tracks), soundcards, and a DJ mixer. That would be pretty awesome - but no dice yet.

Hopefully soon though. I have high hopes for this app. It'd be neat if we could end up using touch based interfaces and no laptop when playing out. That's a nice evolution from where we've been at for the last few years.

1. I'm not so bothered about that and I doubt that we will see the 'Truwave' implemented on the iPad.

2. External Mixing Mode is at the top of my feature requests. It has to be implemented, the workaround is ok but not good enough

3. The Browser needs a lot of improvement. I would like an option to have the Recommended section as a Current Playlist so that is easily accessed because looking and loading from various playlists is not the Traktor way.

4. +1

5. Traktor DJ has to analyse every track. Where it finds a grid it does not apply a grid (it will import grids from tracks that are locked in TPRO). Tracks without grids are gridded in Traktor DJ and that data is then written back into your Traktor Pro collection. This is flawed and there should be a separate Import & Export of metadata function going both ways - TPRO > TDJ and TDJ > TPRO.

6. No it won't be. The output of the iPad is lower than if you were using an Audio 6 etc and the Griffin cable is passive so you will need to up the volume on the mixer channel that your ipad is on. I can get enough volume on the club mixer to compensate to use the iPad alongside the S4.

I'm hoping that NI continue to develop the app and address some of the most requested features. They have an extensive list from me. Time will tell.

Tech Mentor

I'm getting an iPad for Traktor and FLStudio Mobile. I have a $500 budget. Refurbished 32 GB third generation or 16GB iPad 4?

I'm sorry if someone already asked this here, but are you able to edit track names in the iPad app and are you able to organize the tunes into the Traktor folders and playlists? If so, that would be super useful for getting tracks ready before a gig.

I'm kind of bummed that you have to use iTunes sync however. It would be awesome if this synced the entire tune via Dropbox and not just the track info.

Tech Guru

The iOS app totally sux at beatgridding if you intend to use it in Traktor Pro. Personally I need to be able to move the grid to the sample levels, change the grid value by point amounts, manually set the first beat down to grid.

It's pretty shit in its current form for my needs, great idea, great start etc hopefully NI updates it unlike iMaschine which has barely been updated, save being able to pay for more sample packs.

As a purely iOS app I'd give it a 7 out of 10
    As part if Traktor maybe a 4 in its current form?

Tech Guru

Can you believe the ios app hasn't been updated in over a year, you'd think it would get STEMS support or new controller mappings...

I'm hoping that NI continue to develop the app and address some of the most requested features. They have an extensive list from me. Time will tell.
    Lolz.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Default Ipad flashdrives and traktor dj?

I have been checking out getting a flashdrive for my 8gig ipad 4 to use for traktor dj sets. I see a few out there ...
    Anyone try this yet? Any thoughts?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Sammymyman View Post
    I have been checking out getting a flashdrive for my 8gig ipad 4 to use for traktor dj sets. I see a few out there ...
    Anyone try this yet? Any thoughts?
    From what I've looked into, flash drives that connect to iPads only work with that flash drive's proprietary app; they don't work with other apps, until you've saved the content to the iPad's storage.