Pioneer DDJ SX and Traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Pioneer DDJ SX and Traktor

So, I bought the S4. I'm OK with it. I've run into a problem and I'm sure I'll solve it, but ultimately, I don't love the S4. After watching videos and playing on Pioneer gear, I'd rather have the DDJ SX. I love Traktor. I don't want Serato. I want hardware that works well with Traktor. How good is the Viper mapping? I don't scratch. I also don't beatgrid. I'll use tempo sync, but don't rely on the grid. I've read a lot about it, but I'd like some concise opinions. Does the Viper mapping work well enough to ditch the S4 and buy the DDJ SX?

*disclaimer*
    I'd get the NS7ii over anything, but I'm not going to drop $1500 on a controller. That's insane.

Tech Guru

Try using the S4 in MIDI mode, that should give you a good idea of how responsive the SX jogs will be in Traktor.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I just picked up a ddj sx to replace my s4. I used viper's mapping to use it with traktor and I'm very happy with it. I'd even go as far as to say I'd take it over the s4 and even my xone 3d. The only downside is its size which is usually a benefit, but sometimes if you're playing in a smaller or cluttered booth, you won't have space for the ddj whereas the s4 would still fit. I'd say get the ddj sx but keep the s4 in case you get a gig where you won't have room. Also give serato dj a chance. I don't like it as much as traktor but I do like it more than scratch live. Plus the extra features that you can use on the ddj with serato are amazing!

DDJ SX all the way I don't use Vipers tsi but have tried it and it's really good. I'd like to say if you are using FX within traktor you should beatgrid as many og them rely on the beatgrid.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Quote Originally Posted by dj gullum View Post
    DDJ SX all the way I don't use Vipers tsi but have tried it and it's really good. I'd like to say if you are using FX within traktor you should beatgrid as many og them rely on the beatgrid.
    Gullum, what tsi are you using? I've been looking for one that works with 2.5.1 since I don't really like 2.6.

I'm using my own mapping. I don't use many fx and I have an F1 so I don't neet the slicer and sample part of Viper tsi. Mine is mapped verry much the same only the slicer pads are not mapped to anything as of now and the sampler pads are mapped for beatgriding. and The Viper mapp should work just fine with 2.5 only some FX are macro FX in his pre sets
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Wizard

Gullum, I have a question, does the leds situated in the middle of the DDJ-SX platters works with Traktor ?
    How is the scratch/mix feel of them ? (that's 2 questions now ^^)

Quote Originally Posted by Oevl View Post
    Gullum, I have a question, does the leds situated in the middle of the DDJ-SX platters works with Traktor ?
    How is the scratch/mix feel of them ? (that's 2 questions now ^^)
    If you let the song load before pressing play the led ring works (dose not have to be anilized just let the jog do the load animation)
    can't coment so much on scratching as I never scratch but I've done it for fun at home and it's better then the VMS4 and Radius 3000 I had before.
    I do play out sometime using a pair of CDJ 2000 and a DJM 800 and it feels verry much the same to mix on the DDJ SX.

Tech Wizard

Thankkkks
    So finally, what can we miss if we go on traktor with a DDJ-SX compared to going on traktor with a S4 ?

It would be the better jogs scratching and the proabilety to upgrate to Scratch pro and connect turntables straight to the S4. you could still add an Audio 6 or 10 and just use the mixer part of the SX in stand alone. Witch is what I've been thinking of doing.
    The DDJ SX has way more controll over Traktor then the S4 as it's newer and lots of new futures have been added to Traktor since the launch of S4

I plan on adding the Audio 10 and connect the outs from it to the DDJ SX and connect an RMX 1000 to the master in out and use it as a send return fx in traktor. what more I can do is connect external devices and to the ins of the A10 and rooth them as live desks in traktor and gain FX over them. I could even rooth Maschine through on of the channels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast