Frank112916's deet lab set up - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by maqish View Post
    Why not map 2 channels on the x1600 as midi for just the effects in traktor?
    It's overly complicated and the workflow, even on an x1, is not intuitive enough for me. I just want to jump on the decks and play - not fiddle around for hours trying to figure out what each minute adjustment on each one of the three knobs, to the echo effect, will make it sound exactly how it does on my mixer when I just twist the dry/wet.

Not to mention I get these weird pops and drop outs engaging and disengaging effects which is odd because I have a MacBook Pro with 16 gigs of ram, a solid state drive, and more than enough horsepower on my CPU to handle turning on one effect.

Then, to get post fader I have to mix in the box. There is something about it that I hate. The fader curves aren't adjustable, I have to go into the setting to adjust the xfader curve (unless I map a knob to do something it was never intended for). All of this access is perfectly laid out on a mixer because they are forced to do so if they want to offer such functionality. Then there is the impossible task of properly gain staging due to the absolutely useless vue meters in traktor (which were equally useless after I fully mapped the pre-fader vue meter to the mixer and which was the absolute worst experience I've ever had because NI has opted to make the process as tedious as possible).

I use my x1 for two things - cue points and loops. The only other thing I have mapped on my dnx for traktor are the filter and key knobs due to the lack of a proper filter on my mixer and that I will sometimes pitch up and down to mix a vocal or track in-key.

I am not ranting at you btw, I am just explaining fully why I want a mixer that doesn't require me to go into traktor besides getting my music and setting loops and cue points. I apologize for the long post to such a simple question.

I use traktor for a few reasons, one is that CDJs are way too expensive, I like the feel of vinyl, I like that I can see waveforms and easily jump through a track, I think general library navigation is easier, and quantized loops and queues. If 1 wasn't true then Id likely not use traktor at all save for the ease of navigation through tracks and libraries.

Tech Wizard

Mamaa. That guy was mean to me )

Ok as an owner of cdj900 i can tell that if you would want proper waveforms cdj2k is the only way to go. Or use it like i do with mixvibes cross which absolutely rocks. Cdj+traktor sucks bigtime.
    I also own that dnx1600 and the only thing i miss is a per channel filter. I had my eye on the a&h db2 for a while but that one cannot be used for timecode, the buildin soundcard that is. I dont want to trade the comfort of not having to use a external soundcard with extra cables for timecode just because i want per channel filters. Mapping is not an option for me since i do not always use traktor.

So in a way i can relate to your problems. I will be keeping my eye on this thread..

Mamaa. That guy was mean to me )

Ok as an owner of cdj900 i can tell that if you would want proper waveforms cdj2k is the only way to go. Or use it like i do with mixvibes cross which absolutely rocks. Cdj+traktor sucks bigtime.
    I also own that dnx1600 and the only thing i miss is a per channel filter. I had my eye on the a&h db2 for a while but that one cannot be used for timecode, the buildin soundcard that is. I dont want to trade the comfort of not having to use a external soundcard with extra cables for timecode just because i want per channel filters. Mapping is not an option for me since i do not always use traktor.

So in a way i can relate to your problems. I will be keeping my eye on this thread..
    What's wrong w/ cdjs and traktor now that there is full high resolution HID integration?

Tech Wizard

well maybe i should try the advanced hid setting but when i first connected the cdj it only worked with standard. problem was that there was lag, its not my laptop quadcore i7 8gbram ssd but it just didnt feel snappy. (i have to say that standard + traktor 2.5 did work well, since 2.6 its laggy)

specialy when i connected the cdj with mixvibes. it just felt like i was using the cdj's as normal but connected to a screen with a big wavefrom.

W/ 2.6 you can scroll through tracks on the cdj lcds, and perform functions as usual, plus you get high resolution jogs.

Tech Wizard

well i just tried it with the advanced HID and that works as to be expected. Still think that Mixvibes Cross is a bit more snappy but that could be because of the program being more lightweight than Traktor.

At least im glad that NI is getting more on point at least when it comes to cdj's

well i just tried it with the advanced HID and that works as to be expected. Still think that Mixvibes Cross is a bit more snappy but that could be because of the program being more lightweight than Traktor.

At least im glad that NI is getting more on point at least when it comes to cdj's
    Yeah but with traktor and cdj 900/2000s you can get a db2 and not worry about time code! Haha.
    Btw: if you want traktor to run faster, buy a solid state drive. It's the best purchase I've ever made for a computer.

Added this new toy, sl25 mk II, to my setup to try my hand at production. Think I might go with Logic Pro instead of ableton. I just am not really feeling the workflow. Plus I can get logic for free legally and ableton 9 looks great but cost a fortune for someone who makes no money off music production.

Tech Convert

pretty legit setup man

Thanks! I'd love to have a pioneer setup though. I saw in the other thread you're looking to downgrade but I don't think I can afford even second hand nexus' right now, haha. Maybe one day I won't have to clean needles anymore, lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12