Thinking of not using timecode anymore and using Traktor without CD/decks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking of not using timecode anymore and using Traktor without CD/decks

I'm in the process of selling my 2 CDJs, to fund for a new mixer, so I will be making the switch from using timecode CDs with my CDJs.

Any help/feedback about this, how nicely does Traktor work without timecode, will I need to go and beatgrid my entire music collection in Traktor? Because when I've tried syncing before, sometimes it does't sync properly and it sets to a bar or so too fast/slow, but with my CDJS i can just jog it back into place, if I leave timecode and get rid of my CDJs, I will be un-able to do this... so just worrying a bit.

Can anyone give me some heads up about this? Anyone who has made a switch from timecode to just internal decks, or just someone who uses internal decks for Traktor.

My set up atm is
    TSP2 2.6.0
    Kontrol X1 (2)
    MBP
    Maschine

Thanks.

I use 2x Denon SC2000 and an F1. While I do beatgrid my tracks, I can still mix the old fashioned way with the touch sensitive jog wheels and pitch faders. It doesn't feel much different then when I mixed with CD decks and or vinyl.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

it will work fine, but if you don't want to beat grid you will have to map buttons and knobs to nudge and adjust pitch, which is probably going to feel a bit odd. most people who don't have jogs or pitch faders all have their tunes gridded properly.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Yeah, you definitely have to get used to nudging the record forward or backward with a button. I made the switch from vinyl and CDJs a few years ago. I always thought I would need platters, but I don't. I don't beatgrid or sync. I let traktor tell me the BPMs, match them up manually fire them off and make adjustmets on the fly.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

@SirReal - I'm thinking of just completely not using my CD decks with Traktor anymore, I have 4 turntables in my studio lol so I will always have some decks when I feel like having a mix with timecode vinyl etc. But jus giving up the timecode CDJs and using internal Traktors decks.

@squidot - Hm, It will feel odd at the beginning but am sure i'll get used to it? I just don't know how well it'd work by just nudging my tracks in with my X1 :/

I have only gridded a handful of my tracks, I don't feel like going and beat-gridding another thousand tracks.. Hm.. I suppose i could just take my decks out of my set up for a bit and see how I feel with not using them and just using my controller and internal decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    @SirReal - I'm thinking of just completely not using my CD decks with Traktor anymore, I have 4 turntables in my studio lol so I will always have some decks when I feel like having a mix with timecode vinyl etc. But jus giving up the timecode CDJs and using internal Traktors decks.

@squidot - Hm, It will feel odd at the beginning but am sure i'll get used to it? I just don't know how well it'd work by just nudging my tracks in with my X1 :/

I have only gridded a handful of my tracks, I don't feel like going and beat-gridding another thousand tracks.. Hm.. I suppose i could just take my decks out of my set up for a bit and see how I feel with not using them and just using my controller and internal decks.
    yeah, i'm sure once you do it for a while you will get used to it. who knows, you may even like it better. i think it would be fine to nudge them with your x1 but i haven't really done it with buttons in traktor since i grid mostly everything. i believe you can get the encoders down to .001 for bpm adjustments too so it would be really accurate as far a pitch control if you like to ride that.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

@keithface - yeah thats what i was thinking, I couldnt imagine not using platters anymore, I wouldnt feel safe not syncing them tho, i have maschine synced up, so its all in sync anyway!

@squidot - Yeah Im going to give it a go before i sell my CDJs, is there already a 'nudge' button on the X1? I can't see it...

i've never mapped anything, i'm not very clued up on how to do it tbh... How would i map a button that i dont use a lot, to nudge my beats forward/back.?

Preferences > Controller editor. If you read up on it a bit (for about 5 minutes) and get the general gist then you'll be fine. It's using shift functions is when it gets complicated.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Yeah and you don't have to grid a thousand tracks. Just grid as you play them - it takes 20 seconds tops once you get used to it, for over 95% of your tracks unless you're playing old funk and doo wop or whatever. Lock each track when you have the grid set and you will always know which one's gridded and which isn't.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I wasn't referring to using timecode, the Denons I use are midi controllers with platters and pitch. You can pretty much DJ with any midi controller as long as you get comfortable with the process. Knowing how to creatively map a controller doesn't hurt either.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast