Ableton or Traktor??

Default Ableton or Traktor??

So, I just got rid of my old DJ equipment and I have been watching a lot of videos on the midi fighter and Traktor Kontrol S2. I want to be able to mix live, but also be able to produce live? And I was wondering do they make sound packs for Traktor too? Or am I better off going with Ableton? I want to get an S2 and Midi Fighter, but I am more intrigued by producing live. So should just get a couple of Midi Fighters and drop the S2? I need help!!! This is a really hard decision. I don't want to make a big purchase and then regret it in the end. Thanks guys.

what was your "old" equipment?

if you want to produce you probably better off getting somthing like this

traktor is a dj application exclusively - in a more traditional format ( beat gridding does change the game a bit)
    ableton is a power house of a daw great for production and mixing ( warping tracks takes what traktor does in regards to beatgrind to the next level with way more control)

your not going to be able to produce in traktor so i guess ableton is the way to go,

but you can load traktor in ableton and sync the master clocks so there maybe a way to get best of both worlds
    Last edited by MRG12EG; 02-25-2013 at 07:34 PM.

I use both Ableton and Traktor together for performing and love it. They are very different, though, and Traktor just isn't a DAW, while Ableton doesn't do DVS.

I create most of my music in Ableton.

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post
    if you want to produce you probably better off getting somthing like this
    These keyboards are great.

Coming from a traditional DJ back ground, I have a feeling you're going to find Traktor the easiest to get used to in terms of DJing, But, like has been mentioned, it's really not the best way to create full tracks. I definitely think it could be done, but it would be very arduous and not all the best way to spend your time.

Ableton Live CAN be used for both production and Djing, but it's not at all like the DJ set up you're used to. I suggest hunting around on Abletonlivedj.com and see if some of the beginner guides and tutorials make sense to you before you go all in on that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    I definitely think it could be done...
    Tarekith - let's make something entirely in Traktor. I'm for real - it'll be fun.

I'm tempted, but way too busy with a lot of other projects right now. I think I'd need an F1 to really pull it off too, and I don't want to go down that route yet

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    I'm tempted, but way too busy with a lot of other projects right now. I think I'd need an F1 to really pull it off too, and I don't want to go down that route yet
    pmed

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Tarekith - let's make something entirely in Traktor. I'm for real - it'll be fun.
    ib4 micro sampling and pitchriding.... It's much easier with the remix decks and loop recorder now tho.

Traktor all the way.

Can the Mad Zach soundpacks be imported easily into Traktor to use on the F1 or do they need to be remapped? Or are they not useable in Traktor at all?