Newbie Lighting Options

Default Newbie Lighting Options

Hello everyone,

First off, I am new to this, more specifically lighting, so excuse me if I miss any details. To start out, I bought myself a Chauvet Obey 3. I have 8 par cans. They are your standard, non-DMX cans. Then I plan on buying 4 DMX LED par cans. I haven't decided which lights I plan on buying(suggestions are always welcome). My wedding is coming up, and I want to set up the first 8 non-dmx par cans as uplighting in the reception hall. Then the 4 DMX LED par cans will be used to light up the dance floor. Now, I would like to control all of this using the Obey 3. I don't think I can do that. However, to control the 8 uplighting par cans, could I use a Chauvet SF-9005 Timer Controller? Or is there something better out there to do that with? Or could I actually control them using my Obey 3? I won't need to dim them. During the reception, the uplights will be on. As soon as the dancing begins, they will need to be shut off, and then the LED par cans will come on. So, the basic on/off function will be needed. I already understand that I can control the LED par cans with the Obey 3. I just need to know how to tie the non-dmx cans into it all. Thanks for the help!

To control the 8 par cans, you would need a dimmer pack to connect them to the dmx controller. Since you just need to turn them off once, just have some one unplug them at the right time or connect them to a couple of power strips and hit the off buttons.

I use Chauvet Slim Par 56's and have been very happy with them.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 02-28-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks. This will probably work for what I need, http://www.chauvetlighting.com/power-panel.html