How to use a 2nd computer/TV screen with Mac
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to use a 2nd computer/TV screen with Mac

I've been wondering about doing this for ages, and I've seen it in a lot of peoples studio pictures.
    A normal MacBook or iMac, and then a flat/widescreen TV or another mac I'm not sure.

Like in this video http://j.mp/WhWiD2 at about 3:20, he has logic open, he drags a file over off the screen and into Traktor which is running on another screen...

How do I set this up? I have a MacBook Pro, and a mac g5 power PC,
    If I can't do it with my g5 mac I can buy a cheap little flat screen TV to hook it up if that's what I need.

Can I do it with my mac g5? If so how would I do it/what cable or program is needed?

And how would I do it with a TV screen??

Thanks!

with a macbook pro it's easy. Just buy the right connector (like http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA...13-ft?fnode=53 this for example) . Plug it in your laptop and hook it up on your second screen.

In the Systempreferences => Monitor, you can choose how you want to set it up.
    You don't need to buy/install new software.

For a PowermacG5 i don't know how you could do it.
    I guess buying a second videocard could do the trick.
    I do know that with the iMacG5 it was only possible to use a second monitor as a 'mirror' for your native-one.

Okay great, I've found lots of these cables on amazon for cheaper, so going to try one out. Will buy a little 20 or so inch flat screen TV, and hook up via this cable.

Is this what I need to do to just have my MacBook Pro screen screen appear on the TV? And or be able to have say two program's running on my MacBook, logic and say Maschine, and have logic on my
    MacBook screen and have Maschine show up fully on the TV? Or vice versa?

I'd like to be able to do what MK did in that video and have different program's running, and be able to drag and drop from one screen to the other, I'm assuming he's got then all running from ONE mac, and displaying different program's on the secondary screen.

Tech Guru

You're probably better off buying a proper computer monitor as the resolution of TVs is usually quite poor.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You're probably better off buying a proper computer monitor as the resolution of TVs is usually quite poor.
    Tbh that's probably what most people have done, I can't wether they're using TV or PC monitors.
    If I got a Flat screen PC monitor, would I still connect it the same way? Miniport to hdmi? The lead that @diskobeep posted..

Thanks

Tech Guru

Please don't buy that cable... so overpriced..

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Please don't buy that cable... so overpriced..
    Ha! I'm not going too, there's loads on amazon for £10, I'm not buying the linked one! Just an example of what one to get! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Diskobeep View Post
    with a macbook pro it's easy. Just buy the right connector (like http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA...13-ft?fnode=53 this for example) . Plug it in your laptop and hook it up on your second screen.

In the Systempreferences => Monitor, you can choose how you want to set it up.
    You don't need to buy/install new software.

For a PowermacG5 i don't know how you could do it.
    I guess buying a second videocard could do the trick.
    I do know that with the iMacG5 it was only possible to use a second monitor as a 'mirror' for your native-one.

If use it for mirror and extended display! I've just read this, and it doesn't mention HDMI cable, is that because you was answering my question for a TV screen? connecting to an actual PC monitor, which I now realise will be better.

Would I have to use one of these leads instead?
    http://www.demogeek.com/2010/01/05/h...ernal-monitor/

Tech Guru

Oh good

There's always some moron who believes you HAVE to buy Monster branded cables and whatnot :P

Yeah I know! I've been a victim too, although I can say that when I've tonight cheap cables they felt really cheap, and when I've spent a bit more on a cable. It's felt a lot nicer, but still, maybe not so much different in actual quality

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast