Can I use Tannoy 501 or 601 speakers to fill a room that can fit 40?
    Tech Convert

Default Can I use Tannoy 501 or 601 speakers to fill a room that can fit 40?

I am doing a gig for a friend of line and all I have right now is my studio speakers. Which are the Tannoy 601 or 501's. I was wondering could I DJ with them o fill the room of forty?

Tech Mentor

I'm not much of a speaker nerd, but I can't see a pair of monitors carrying a crowd of anything over 12 people. I've always been told never use monitors for parties. Monitors are built for one purpose only, to monitor sound. Which means, near field listening.

A few drinks and you'll be cranking them up and before you know it, boom! You've blown your expensive speakers.

Maybe rent?
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

I used a pair of Behringer Truths for a small hall with about 30-40 people. They did alright. It was mostly dinner and background music as people socialized.
    Used Record Shopper

Tech Guru

Just invest in a dirt cheap hi-fi system from a pawn shop, your average 2.1 system will comfortably accommodate a room of 40 and if you crank it to hard and damage them, (highly likely) then you're only a couple of bucks down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyz View Post
    I am doing a gig for a friend of line and all I have right now is my studio speakers. Which are the Tannoy 601 or 501's. I was wondering could I DJ with them o fill the room of forty?
    Could you? Sure. Should you? Probably not.

At the very least, use BOTH sets, spread throughout the space as evenly as possible for the greatest coverage. Personally, I'd take a trip to your nearest second hand shop to get some floorstander (ie, 2 or 3 main drivers + a tweeter (or horn loaded mid AND tweeter if you're lucky) hifi speakers and a > 60W RMS amp. You'll get WAY more volume out of them, and also way more bottom end.

IMO never use studio monitors as a front of house set. Exposure to drinks, dancing people etc. is not something they like. If you have the option, rent a small set of passive speakers with an amp. Safer, more powerful, and you don't have to worry so much about it.
    SpeakerFreaker | E-MU Xboard 49 | Novation Launchpad | Korg Zero4 | CDJ-400's | Sennheiser HD-25 Adidas Originals | TSP 2 | Mac Pro | Soundcloud

Just out of interest, has anyone tried out the QTX actives? The QR8A or 10A, specifically... need to pick up a cheap set of PAs for house parties at some point, and unfortunately not much second hand gear on the market around my area

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Just out of interest, has anyone tried out the QTX actives? The QR8A or 10A, specifically... need to pick up a cheap set of PAs for house parties at some point, and unfortunately not much second hand gear on the market around my area
    I purchased a pair of QTX PA8JA's last month. They're decent and enough to power a house party of around 25-30 people. Should cost you no more than £90 for the pair.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/