Xone DB4 or K2 for controlling Ableton Live
    Tech Mentor

Default Xone DB4 or K2 for controlling Ableton Live

Just wondering if the DB4 can be mapped to Live for control of all the quantize features – e.g. Faders, EQs etc in Arrangement view within Live or could I achieve this with a much reduced outlay with a couple of K2’s?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by crumarbit View Post
    Just wondering if the DB4 can be mapped to Live for control of all the quantize features – e.g. Faders, EQs etc in Arrangement view within Live or could I achieve this with a much reduced outlay with a couple of K2’s?
    Well either.. Ones incredibly more expensive than the other though? Not sure how they compare.

Neither has very tight integration with live honestly, You can send and control all you want... getting the feedback to the controllers are two different stories. The k2 for my setup ended up being sort of wasted until I write my own python script for controlling LED Feedback on the K2 as its not natively supported in ableton. Ive thought about just selling it and work on building my own controller.. Who knows though

Quote Originally Posted by balakoth View Post
    Well either.. Ones incredibly more expensive than the other though? Not sure how they compare.

Neither has very tight integration with live honestly, You can send and control all you want... getting the feedback to the controllers are two different stories. The k2 for my setup ended up being sort of wasted until I write my own python script for controlling LED Feedback on the K2 as its not natively supported in ableton. Ive thought about just selling it and work on building my own controller.. Who knows though

I have a k2 and I don't have any issues with LED feed back. Unless you're talking about sending a color other then the layer your using.

I just turned remote on for the output to the k2. when I push a button that I have mapped to an effect on / eq kill it lights up with the color RED asI'm only using one layer with my K2, the red layer.

Tech Mentor

Ooohhh i don't know! So hard to decide on how to go. I was looking at stopping using Traktor and then sticking with live and using the new Decadance (when it arrives). Just love the control Live offers and was thinking DB4 to control Live and i will then have a mixer to switch to analogue when playing with Vinyl.

Anybody else suffering with this sort of decision?

DB4+2 K2s and you're set; why choose? ;-P Yes I realize that was no help at all.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    DB4+2 K2s and you're set; why choose? ;-P Yes I realize that was no help at all.
    You know what... It actually was haha!

Tech Mentor

Has anybody done this with the DB4 using Midi (taken from another forum):

I am mapping via midi to act like "the bridge" and record mixer automation.*My solution to my original post. Set channels 1-4 at, say, 0db and keep them fixed. Then midi map DJ equivalent midi controls to channels 5-8.*At the end of the mix...*Ext in 1&2 records the live "as is" mix (audio DB4)*Tracks 1-4 record clip firing (done from my monome)*Tracks 5-8 capture all mixer automation, fader, Gain Hi, Med, low etc etc. I then combine tracks 1&5, 2&6, 3&7 and 5&8. I now have the full mix to edit in arrangement view.*I am new to the arrangement view, so this is a great opportunity for me to gain experience with post production and any editing.