Am I limiting my workflow...

Default Am I limiting my workflow...

This has sprung thoughts multiple times now.

I have a Behringer UMX250 25 Key MIDI keyboard, paid about £70.
    Has a few buttons and knobs on it, when I brought it I didn't have a clue what any of the other stuff did, other then pressing the keys to hear/key in sounds with logic.

Now I always see people's studio pics with big or same size midi keyboards, but they have a LOT more to them... More buttons, knobs, pads, digital displays on them etc.

So am I limiting my workflow in the studio by having the keyboard that I have? Is there better ones out there that do more stuff? What exactly else can they do, other then of course the keys, volume, and pitch/modulation.

I know I can learn knobs on my keyboard to control plugin parameters, but what do all these other keyboards do.. Am I missing out on something? Could I benefit and be able to do more from buying a new keyboard?

image.jpg
    Last edited by Superfreak; 03-04-2013 at 08:39 AM.

EDIT: sorry, I use Logic Pro, MacBook Pro, Maschine, and recently got ableton live 8 so will be using that soon.

Tech Mentor

no, you are not limiting your work flow.

as long as you have some type of keyboard you are fine. because most of the automation on tracks are drawn in rather than physical inputs.

You only have 25 keys.

Quote Originally Posted by no_rex4u View Post
    no, you are not limiting your work flow.

as long as you have some type of keyboard you are fine. because most of the automation on tracks are drawn in rather than physical inputs.
    Okay cool! I can use a knob on my keyboard to control automation? It'd feel better doing that rather then using a mouse I think!

@botstein - I can deal with only having 25 keys atm I think! Changing down or up OCTVS to get along is alright for me so far!

Tech Guru

You ask if your workflow is limited, without providing any clues about what it is you are trying to accomplish.

I VERY general terms....

If you are trying to perform "live"...then yes, that keyboard (alone) will limit your workflow...but it is still a good place to start. With most beginners, limiting the available options is a good thing.

If you are trying to "produce"...then no, the software is still fully usable from a mouse & QWERTY keyboard....having ANY midi input device opens up possibilities.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

@soundinmotiondj - ah yes sorry man, was going to edit and put that in there.

I am just producing music with logic, so that's basically all I need a keyboard for, I'm going to get a controller to perfrom live with ableton live..!

Okay people thanks for clearing that up! :-)

not really

when it comes to using daws I find I end up using the mouse and keyboard for most things anyway

I dont find many midi controllers lend themselves that naturally in the studio for much- except maybe the expensive high end motorized type stuff