a couple of quick controller questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default a couple of quick controller questions

Hey guys.

I had two questions. If a dj controller doesn't have a dedicated shift button, can any button be assigned as a shift button? I am assuming the shift feature only works in hardware.

For my other question; if a dj controller has filter knobs, does that mean it has a hardware filter? I thought they were just controlling the filters of the software, but I had heard a reviewer praising a controller for the filter sound.

Tech Guru

Controllers typically use the software filters but there are some that work as a standalone mixer too so the filters may work on their own that way.

Other buttons can be used as modifiers, but this is not the same as a MIDI shift button which changes the note values of all controls when pressed.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Ok. So what I am asking is can you have a MIDI shift button assigned by the software if there is no hardware MIDI shift button?

Quote Originally Posted by Synaptic Flow View Post
    Ok. So what I am asking is can you have a MIDI shift button assigned by the software if there is no hardware MIDI shift button?
    You have to assign that button to enable a modifier in Traktor, and then use M0=0 as a condition for one set of functions, and M0=1 for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    You have to assign that button to enable a modifier in Traktor, and then use M0=0 as a condition for one set of functions, and M0=1 for the other.
    Thanks. It sounds a little complicated but I guess it might make sense if I was acutally looking at a setup page. I am comfortable doing my own mappings for most every function, but I have never done something like that.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Shift button is basically a HOLD type modifier:

Add In > Modifier / type-button / interaction-hold / value=1

Now, each time this button is pressed and on hold the value will jump to 1 and soon the button is released value will jump back to 0 giving you two modifier states.

Example for filter/gain knob:

Filter modifier condition: M=0
    Gain modifier condition: M=1

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Shift button is basically a HOLD type modifier:

Add In > Modifier / type-button / interaction-hold / value=1

Now, each time this button is pressed and on hold the value will jump to 1 and soon the button is released value will jump back to 0 giving you two modifier states.

Example for filter/gain knob:

Filter modifier condition: M=0
    Gain modifier condition: M=1

Hope this helps.
    You can also have toggle-shifts, where one press will set it to 1, another will set it back to 0. It's kinda like an If Then Else statement.

nice

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    You can also have toggle-shifts, where one press will set it to 1, another will set it back to 0. It's kinda like an If Then Else statement.
    Should look like this:

Add In > Modifier / modCon M=0 / type-button / interaction-direct / value=1
    Add In > Modifier / modCon M=1 / type-button / interaction-direct / value=0

I had asked these questions because I was getting the CMD 4A. I went with the MC3000 and will not really need the shift option anymore. Maybe in the future when I want to pursue advanced functions, I will.

Thank you all for your help either way. Now I know where to look if and when I need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast