DiskPlay - Digital Vinyl Evolved
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Our solution to avoid Serato face: DiskPlay

*Edit* UPDATE: You can read read more about the current system over here:
    *Edit*

So we have been thinking about the Serato face problem for quite a while. We have come up with DiskPlay.

DiskPlay is a non-commercial standalone application you can run on your mac. It is a research project i am doing as my final thesis.

We are trying to display all the information where it is really important, on your turntables, bringing back some of the information that traditional vinyls provided and adding features on top of that. So here is a short introduction:

The system is based on Serato Scratch Live and Serato Video, but is also compatible with the demo versions you can download from their website directly. We are using a white record, on which we project the information. The projector is mounted on top of the turntables.

The system is still work in progress but coming along quite nicely. But we are planning to release a first version publicly very soon and to collect feedback from the community.
    Last edited by Bonzo; 03-05-2013 at 05:22 AM.

Dude. If you figure out an all in one consumer version that works between different DVS systems you will be the god of the DJ world. Jus sayin! This is pretty ill.

An all in one solution is what we all dream of

But most of the companies donīt want anyone messing with their software. Serato is so far the only company that lets anyone read at least some of the info.

The app, displaying the information on the record, can be fed from any other application. You just have to figure out a way to get the infos out of the commercial products in real time.

Ultimately, an all-in-one turntable integrating a display would be the goal. But it is a long way to go.

Oh and btw: thanks for the credit.
    Last edited by Bonzo; 02-27-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Tech Guru

Incredible, could you use something like a pico projector or something mini? This would be nuts but the turning the platter Into a screen with a clear vinyl could also do the trick. Congratulations on your hard work

Thats really cool, very impressed.

Didn't someone do something with a projector on here before? Was that you as well?
    SC | MC

Of course you can use whatever projector you like. For our setup we used a very old projector to ensure that the colors are actually visible on other projectors. We actually used that projector to make video above. Its resolution is only 1024x768 (and only a small portion of that is actually used). There were far better projectors available at the chair. But not everyone has a top notch projector at home. Making sure it is working with old projectors was an important thing to us.
    We also checked out clear vinyl, black vinyl and white vinyl. Clear vinyl delivers good results, but is of course not as sharp as a non-translucent record.

Didn't someone do something with a projector on here before? Was that you as well?
    I havent posted anything here before. Sorry, it wasnt me.
    Last edited by Bonzo; 02-27-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Tech Mentor

How much will the system cost?

Tech Guru

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Awesome work. I can see the limitations, but its a great start, and i can see this really going places. Also really appreciate how you are incorporating new technology on the old "standard" of TTs.

If it were me, I would put a white label on the timecodes and display the track information on the label, and keep it readable (ie it doesnt rotate with the record). Good luck on the rest of your project!

Tech Wizard

This is absolutely awesome!!
    I'm on traktor,if something like this would be released for affordable price.
    I'm on it!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast