If you were to buy a DVS system, would you get Traktor A10 or Serato SL4? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

just saying, but if I wanted DVS and just mixed 2 decks I would go with Mixvibes. £100 software and soundcard, not to be sniffed at.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Tech Guru

A used Audio4/6 along with a new Scratch software kit won't run you much more than that.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Really just depends on what software you like and how much you want to spend.

I personally use an Audio 8 with latest TSP2 and does great for me. I like Traktor's layout better and personally think Traktor is more flexible than Serato is. Plus not all updates are paid for, lot are free. When I first bought Traktor, I got it cheaper than I could ever get Serato as well.
    DJ Setup: MacBook Pro, TSP 2.5, (2) Stanton STR8-100, Ecler NUO4, Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, Stanton DJ Pro 2000 headphones, Ortofon Nightclub needles.

I've given this question much though as I may switch back to turntables in the next couple of years.
    I like SSL's simplicity, but since It took almost two weeks to initially grid, cue and set loops when I first switch to TP, I can't see myself switching again.
    So A10 for me.
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

I don't ever want to be bothered with gridding tracks.

That being said, I really enjoy SSL's interface. I've actually been debating selling my SL1 for an SL4 box for awhile now, because it would just make life so much easier for transitioning between DJ's using SSL. That dual USB feature is something amazing if you're working with others using SSL often.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Traktor obviously, Serato is a joke lol.

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    I mean, the point that NI charges for upgrades is often overstated.

The last non-free upgrade was for TSP 2, which came out in April '11. The cost of upgrading from a previous scratch version (at the time, there existed a number of different flavors of Scratch such as Scratch Duo and Scratch Pro) to TSP2 was $79/EUR 69.

The non-free upgrade before that, from Traktor 3 to TSP/TSD, was back in '08.

And today, both Serato and NI give you their software for free with any interface/certified hardware purchase. Now here comes the punchline. Considering that nobody really uses an interface for longer than 4-5 years, you will have no more than one or - at most - two paid upgrades over the interface lifetime. Say, the cost of paid upgrades is like $100 on average. Factoring that in, Traktor is still a lot cheaper than SSL.

As for NI's customer support-I never had any problems personally. However, I've read the stories of people with bad customer service experiences, too. YMMV.
    Great input, mate! I'm looking for an SL4 or A10 as I want 4 deck control and I have a DB4, so I love the idea of having one set of RCAs for each channel to control MP3 or Vinyl (no need to switch).

I'm running an SL1 at the moment and have had 0 issues with Serato software. It is bare bones, but does everything I want it to do. The dual USB is awesome for gigs, too. The price difference is the only thing making think of going for the A10 instead.

Do you think Traktor will ever let you change the wav forms from horizontal to vertical? Serato lets you have it anyway you like.
    Xone DB4, Technics 1200 MK5 x2, Technics MK3 x1, Serato SL1, Novation Dicers, Sennheiser Adidas HD25
    Always uploading new mixes to https://soundcloud.com/djskullduggery

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Traktor obviously, Serato is a joke lol.
    Serato's a joke? Any reasons behind that view or is it just fanboy loyalty?
    Xone DB4, Technics 1200 MK5 x2, Technics MK3 x1, Serato SL1, Novation Dicers, Sennheiser Adidas HD25
    Always uploading new mixes to https://soundcloud.com/djskullduggery

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    Serato's a joke? Any reasons behind that view or is it just fanboy loyalty?
    Well I got a free copy of Serato DJ (full, not Intro) with my Terminal Mix 4, and it's just... wank. Utterly, utterly wank in comparison to Traktor. The FX are a joke, the EQing sounds shite, etc etc. The ONLY good thing about it is that it has parallel waveforms; if NI add that in TP3, then I highly doubt anyone will use Serato after that.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Well I got a free copy of Serato DJ (full, not Intro) with my Terminal Mix 4, and it's just... wank. Utterly, utterly wank in comparison to Traktor. The FX are a joke, the EQing sounds shite, etc etc. The ONLY good thing about it is that it has parallel waveforms; if NI add that in TP3, then I highly doubt anyone will use Serato after that.
    What's your experience with SSL (Scratch Live), since this conversation is discussing soundcards and the SL4 uses SSL.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast