If you were to buy a DVS system, would you get Traktor A10 or Serato SL4? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post
    iserato has a simple design i prefer the way your organise your music in it (using creates ) - it isnt as good with effects. but fully integrates with ableton using the bridge!
    No it doesn't at least not last I checked. It allows you to launch ableton clips in sync with records which is good, but it does NOT give you Ableton effects on Serato channels. So you can't just pump your records in Serato through some of the badass effects available for Ableton. Which is too damn bad. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that please...

This means Traktor is probably a better bet if you like to use effects and especially if you like fine tuning them. Traktor is incredibly powerful effects-wise since you can combine them in multiple ways, and the midi mapping capabilities, while complicated, are very powerful - you can assign specific combinations of effects to a single knob or button so you can make your own. They're still limited though; it would be great if you could use VST effects on either system the way you can in Ableton. Serato, meanwhile, is pretty limited in the effects category last I checked. I heard Izotope was going to rewrite all of Serato's effects, which would be great if that happened, but I haven't heard them if they got updated, or if Izotope's other effects (some of which are amazing) will be available to Serato DJ users.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Im sad to see this has turned into a traktor versus serato thread. Ill be honest wiht you mate. If you plan on just playing clubs then serato is the way to go. If youre doing anything else, go with traktor. Both do the same basic things. Its all preference. I have both installed on my laptop even tho I am a traktor nut. I have shown up to gigs where they dont let me set up my gear tho so I end up opening up serato and connect to the box they have on hand. Always, as with any DVS, have vinyl and cd's as back up. You never know what you might run into.

A lot of excellent input here. Thanks lads.

If it the SL4 is a fair bit more expensive, but that's the reason I work, right? Serato is the standard around here when playing out and I'm already familiar with the set up.

Is it true that the A10 requires a power source, not just USB? While that's not a huge problem, it's an inconvenience and just more wires I need to deal with.
    Xone DB4, Technics 1200 MK5 x2, Technics MK3 x1, Serato SL1, Novation Dicers, Sennheiser Adidas HD25
    Always uploading new mixes to https://soundcloud.com/djskullduggery

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    A lot of excellent input here. Thanks lads.

If it the SL4 is a fair bit more expensive, but that's the reason I work, right? Serato is the standard around here when playing out and I'm already familiar with the set up.

Is it true that the A10 requires a power source, not just USB? While that's not a huge problem, it's an inconvenience and just more wires I need to deal with.
    Yes the A10 needs to be powered but the benefit of this is when your laptop is turned off you can still play music through the sound card I'm not sure if the Serato box can do this. It's good when you when just want to spin straight vinyl without your computer hooked up.

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    Yes the A10 needs to be powered but the benefit of this is when your laptop is turned off you can still play music through the sound card I'm not sure if the Serato box can do this. It's good when you when just want to spin straight vinyl without your computer hooked up.
    You make a great point. I would have never thought of that!
    Xone DB4, Technics 1200 MK5 x2, Technics MK3 x1, Serato SL1, Novation Dicers, Sennheiser Adidas HD25
    Always uploading new mixes to https://soundcloud.com/djskullduggery

Tech Mentor

SL3, at least, can run off AC power and the two channels (excluding AUX) will pipe your source through.

Otherwise it doesn't require power to function: runs reliably off the juice supplied by your computer.

Things I don't know are:
    - the difference in battery usage if using a notebook, SL3 running off USB versus AC
    - whether SL4 operates in the same manner as stated above
    - whether SL4 allows THRU on all four channels (assume so, as there's an additional AUX)

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

DJTT is against any form of piracy. If anyone else brings it up again they will be joining the ranks of the 1 week off gang so be wise and don't ruin your forum experience .

Tech Guru

For non-timecode use, can the SL4 be used to transition between two people using Traktor?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    -Literally impossible to change over, the antithesis to the dual USB. Seriously, in any kind of club environment, all of that awesome super great "fill the I/O up" flexibility gets cut down to nothing in the face of getting an engineer to deal with the kafikaesque cable-Hell you create fully patching that thing in. Luckily, it can be run quite minimalist with controllers and internal mixing.
    haha

regrettably tis true

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    No it doesn't at least not last I checked. It allows you to launch ableton clips in sync with records which is good, but it does NOT give you Ableton effects on Serato channels. So you can't just pump your records in Serato through some of the badass effects available for Ableton. Which is too damn bad. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that please...
    Yes this can be done. http://serato.com/latest/blog/7553/b...for-the-bridge

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast