If you were to buy a DVS system, would you get Traktor A10 or Serato SL4?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default If you were to buy a DVS system, would you get Traktor A10 or Serato SL4?

Just remember, they both control four decks but Traktor is 2/3 the price of Serato. (Approx $800 for SL4 and $470 for the A10).

I've heard that Serato's customer service is awesome and they also have free software updates, whereas Traktor and NI make you pay to upgrade and their customer service is sometime dubious to say the least.

What would you do? (Help me! )
    Xone DB4, Technics 1200 MK5 x2, Technics MK3 x1, Serato SL1, Novation Dicers, Sennheiser Adidas HD25
    Always uploading new mixes to https://soundcloud.com/djskullduggery

Traktor v Serato you say?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Traktor v Serato you say?
    Not really 'vs' but what would you choose and why. There are enough Youtube videos comparing them
    Xone DB4, Technics 1200 MK5 x2, Technics MK3 x1, Serato SL1, Novation Dicers, Sennheiser Adidas HD25
    Always uploading new mixes to https://soundcloud.com/djskullduggery

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    Just remember, they both control four decks but Traktor is 2/3 the price of Serato. (Approx $800 for SL4 and $470 for the A10).

I've heard that Serato's customer service is awesome and they also have free software updates, whereas Traktor and NI make you pay to upgrade
    I mean, the point that NI charges for upgrades is often overstated.

The last non-free upgrade was for TSP 2, which came out in April '11. The cost of upgrading from a previous scratch version (at the time, there existed a number of different flavors of Scratch such as Scratch Duo and Scratch Pro) to TSP2 was $79/EUR 69.

The non-free upgrade before that, from Traktor 3 to TSP/TSD, was back in '08.

And today, both Serato and NI give you their software for free with any interface/certified hardware purchase. Now here comes the punchline. Considering that nobody really uses an interface for longer than 4-5 years, you will have no more than one or - at most - two paid upgrades over the interface lifetime. Say, the cost of paid upgrades is like $100 on average. Factoring that in, Traktor is still a lot cheaper than SSL.

As for NI's customer support-I never had any problems personally. However, I've read the stories of people with bad customer service experiences, too. YMMV.
    Last edited by human; 03-05-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    I mean, the point that NI charges for upgrades is often overstated.

The last non-free upgrade was for TSP 2, which came out in April '11. The cost of upgrading from a previous scratch version (at the time, there existed a number of different flavors of Scratch such as Scratch Duo and Scratch Pro) to TSP2 was $79/EUR 69.

The non-free upgrade before that, from Traktor 3 to TSP/TSD, was back in '08.

And today, both Serato and NI give you their software for free with any interface/certified hardware purchase. Now here comes the punchline. Considering that nobody really uses an interface for longer than 4-5 years, you will have no more than one or - at most - two paid upgrades over the interface lifetime. Say, the cost of paid upgrades is like $100 on average. Factoring that in, Traktor is still a lot cheaper than SSL.

As for NI's customer support-I never had any problems personally. However, I've read the stories of people with bad customer service experiences, too. YMMV.

dont forget traktor's free key detection - worth $58 USD! and it comes for.... FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    dont forget traktor's free key detection - worth $58 USD! and it comes for.... FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    heh Im confused... was that suppose to be a joke? Because Traktors new Key Detection system is.. just that.. a Joke heh

Ive never used Serato, and dont use these systems as DVS systems so I wont be of much help. I do know my buddies out here who spin and use CDJs often prefer to the control of Serato for those types of activities (scratching etc)

I made the switch from SL3 to Audio 8 and now have an Audio 10. I love the sound, feel, using midi out to match with my LIVE PA hardware, and easy expandability of traktor over SSL.

Tech Guru

Depends almost entirely on which software you prefer as the interfaces are essentially the same.

MIDI and headphone socket are nice features of the A10, and the dual USBs are a nice feature of the SL4
    Last edited by makar1; 03-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Depends almost entirely on which software you prefer as the interfaces are essentially the same.

MIDI and headphone socket are nice features of the A10, and the dual USBs are a nice feature of the SL4
    This. I had an Audio 8, now I have an SL3 and never looked back. I prefer SSL over Traktor software....

....speaking strickly soundcards, the SL4's biggest advantage is the dual USB's.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I'm so used to Traktor I'd probably just stay with NI.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast