The "club standard" CDJ. Lack of respect for controllerists. Why? - Page 12
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

This is more my idea of what a DJ booth should look like:

Not specifically the CDJs, but a nice closed off area rather than a wooden box in a corner.
    But even the small sideroom that barely gets used has a couple 1000s with a Xone 92.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    I think allot of DJ's don't understand the need to bring a controller into the booth when there's everything you need to mix tracks in the booth already and in some ways I agree with them.

Personally unless I was planing on performing in a way that really required a controller and software and I couldn't do it with CDJ's and TT's I don't think I would bother especially if I was mixing internally in Traktor when there's an external 4 channel mixer already there.. that really baffles me why people would do that. The chances of things going wrong increase when you're plugging/unplugging things adding and laptop in the mix adds another whole element unpredictability.

Obviously depending on the environment different equipment is more viable - Something like a lounge bar gig once a week with no real booth would lend it's self more towards something like an S2 and laptop.

Basically I think if you aren't bringing anything creative in your mixes that you can't do with the equipment in a decked out booth you are sharing with others leave the controller at home and learn to adapt. If your playing a live set bring your laptop and launch pad or if you really want to use Trakor try HID on the CDJ's.
    A+ for most sensical post
    now that that's said though, those of us who don't have a club set up at home, there's the worry of using something (i'm going to switch to *i* here, i don't want to speak for "every" traktor dj) that i haven't practiced on a whole bunch. even though i play every weekend (maybe skipping one a month or so), the first time i plug the audio 8 into the cjds is still going to be my first time doing this, and welp that's a huge huge risk.
    i'm going to answer my own question here by saying i suppose i could hang out at whichever venue seems chillest with someone mucking about in the dj booth at 4pm and fiddle with stuff- but i guess what i'm asking is, are there any of you who play cdjs at clubs and don't have that as a home setup, if so, how do you get your practice on- what was the context in which you played cdjs for the first time etc

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    I think allot of DJ's don't understand the need to bring a controller into the booth when there's everything you need to mix tracks in the booth already and in some ways I agree with them.

Basically I think if you aren't bringing anything creative in your mixes that you can't do with the equipment in a decked out booth you are sharing with others leave the controller at home and learn to adapt. If your playing a live set bring your laptop and launch pad or if you really want to use Trakor try HID on the CDJ's.
    This.

I put on my own events, and provide my CDJ-2000's and either my Z2 mixer or XONE 92 for the other DJ's to use. It drives me nuts for someone to roll up and want me to move one of the CDJ's out of the way for him to plug in his Hercules controller.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thesalivationarmy View Post
    are there any of you who play cdjs at clubs and don't have that as a home setup, if so, how do you get your practice on- what was the context in which you played cdjs for the first time etc
    The main difference is the lack of sync, phase meter, and zoomed in waveform.

If you can mix well on Traktor with those disabled you should be fine.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    The main difference is the lack of sync, phase meter, and zoomed in waveform.

If you can mix well on Traktor with those disabled you should be fine.
    Funny that this whole argument more or less stems around those three things...ppl won't explicitly state it but its hard to deny.

This thread is epic and the number of ppl that miss sarcasm tend to show their inexperience with dj'ing.

Not saying its a good or bad thing, but the sarcasm check is usually how i read through these threads.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    If you backspin you don't deserve to be behind a pair of CDJ's.
    Wow, i guess the entire genre of D&B and its DJs are not worthy.

eh im not touching this debate, i just meant i would hate for my first time w new gear to be happening out somewhere, but at the same time can't justify dropping the 2k on a new setup when tbqh traktor + midi has a lot to show me still
    i know some people who legit have never owned cdjs but still rolled up at the club and played/made it work- which i guess is how you learn anyway
    wasnt sure i had the b̶a̶l̶l̶s̶ ovaries to do the same

also
    Quote Originally Posted by Janky View Post
    Wow, i guess the entire genre of D&B and its DJs are not worthy.
    not to mention reggae dancehall afrobeats etc
    *side eye*
    Last edited by thesalivationarmy; 03-06-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: double post sry

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thesalivationarmy View Post
    i know some people who legit have never owned cdjs but still rolled up at the club and played/made it work- which i guess is how you learn anyway
    If you can beatmatch by ear you should be able to do this too.

After processing all of the highly informative data in this thread, I have come to the final conclusion that the CDJ is superior to any MIDI controller due to it's exceptional backspin capability.

I guess we now truly know why it is the "professional standard".

>

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    After processing all of the highly informative data in this thread, I have come to the final conclusion that the CDJ is superior to any MIDI controller due to it's exceptional backspin capability.

I guess we now truly know why it is the "professional standard".

>
    tumblr_inline_mh26euxc6L1r04hqq.jpg