Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 296
  1. #11
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    426

    Default

    If you're just starting out, or playing as an opening DJ... then you need to learn to play on whatever gear might be present on any given night. If you can only Dj on a controller, then you won't get booked in many legitimate clubs. The last thing a club owner wants is to have $5k worth of gear in his booth and his opening DJ roll in with a $200 controller and start unplugging and repositioning the booth, making it more of a hassle for those to follow. Doesn't make sense and it looks like a crutch. It's mostly image, but it reflects on your ability (or lack thereof). My advice: learn to play on CDJ's, but advance your skills on whatever you choose.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

  2. #12
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to a canal in England.
    Posts
    8,701

    Default

    I'm having a massive wave of Déjà vu at DJTT this week.

    We've have had the Sync debate, Mac vs Pc and now the 'Controllers get no respect' debate.

    All we need now is Brad C to open a Poll and we are right back in 2010.

    I blame Ed Paris for posting that 42" screen thread a few days back. It's forced us into 'The Mobius'


  3. #13

    Default

    Tbh, I say everyone should just follow my lead and refuse to play on CDJs full stop. If everyone did that, controllers would VERY quickly become the industry standard.

    Saying that, if I walked into a venue and they had an S4 already set up, I'd very quickly start regretting my decision.

  4. #14
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    I don't really find external mixing to be any different than internal mixing. If anything, I like it more. Not sure why, just do.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    If you're just starting out, or playing as an opening DJ... then you need to learn to play on whatever gear might be present on any given night. If you can only Dj on a controller, then you won't get booked in many legitimate clubs. The last thing a club owner wants is to have $5k worth of gear in his booth and his opening DJ roll in with a $200 controller and start unplugging and repositioning the booth, making it more of a hassle for those to follow. Doesn't make sense and it looks like a crutch. It's mostly image, but it reflects on your ability (or lack thereof). My advice: learn to play on CDJ's, but advance your skills on whatever you choose.


    This exactly.

    Also, the S4 is a toy.

    I've been using controllers since all we had was the old Hercules'... And even I will say that every single All-in-one controller ever built is, and should be seen as, a toy. Compare them to the mixers and CDJs made by the same companies... they are cheap plastic toys. Except MAYBE the DDJ-SX.

    As someone who VERY recently switched away from an S4, after playing hundreds of gigs with it, I must say that All-in-one controllers should never, and probably WILL never be taken seriously. There's no reason to use inferior gear to do the job that the gear already on stage can do way better. Almost every real gig has Pioneer CDJs and a Pio mixer. The majority have 2000's and a DJM 900, meaning you COULD show up and control two traktor decks with nothing but a laptop and three USB cables. Bring supplemental modular controllers if you need things like cue points, effects controls, etc. This (or timecode) is what every serious Traktor DJ should be doing.
    Last edited by octostout; 03-06-2013 at 12:20 AM.

  6. #16
    Tech Mentor Timbo21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    It's Britainy Bitch
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Can someone tell me if the older standard CDJ1000's gave a bpm display?

    I think if they did, then that is just a pinch away from having sync.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by octostout View Post
    This exactly.

    Also, the S4 is a toy.

    I've been using controllers since all we had was the old Hercules'... And even I will say that every single All-in-one controller ever built is, and should be seen as, a toy. Compare them to the mixers and CDJs made by the same companies... they are cheap plastic toys. Except MAYBE the DDJ-SX.

    As someone who VERY recently switched away from an S4, after playing hundreds of gigs with it, I must say that All-in-one controllers should never, and probably WILL never be taken seriously. There's no reason to use inferior gear to do the job that the gear already on stage can do way better. Almost every real gig has Pioneer CDJs and a Pio mixer. The majority have 2000's and a DJM 900, meaning you COULD show up and control two traktor decks with nothing but a laptop and three USB cables. Bring supplemental modular controllers if you need things like cue points, effects controls, etc. This (or timecode) is what every serious Traktor DJ should be doing.
    Cheap plastic toys? I guess you've never used any Reloop gear... All metal construction, 14-bit faders, multiple master/booth outputs, balanced/unbalanced etc etc.

    I guess this is a US vs Europe thing; over here in the UK, you'll be hard pressed to find a DJ using CDJs - most people use Traktor or Serato, and almost always with controllers.

  8. #18
    Tech Guru kooper1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    I guess this is a US vs Europe thing; over here in the UK, you'll be hard pressed to find a DJ using CDJs - most people use Traktor or Serato, and almost always with controllers.
    Don't mean to be rude but this is close to being complete bollocks. At best it's massive exaggeration. EVERY top dj I've seen in the UK over the past 5 years has used cdj's and a mixer. I've seen local bar dj's use timecode set ups or controllers but ALL of the touring dj's I've seen are cdj guys and gals.
    MacBook, HD25's, Pioneer DJM-T1 Midi-Fighter Classic, 2x Stanton CMP800

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Don't mean to be rude but this is close to being complete bollocks. At best it's massive exaggeration. EVERY top dj I've seen in the UK over the past 5 years has used cdj's and a mixer. I've seen local bar dj's use timecode set ups or controllers but ALL of the touring dj's I've seen are cdj guys and gals.
    There's only ONE venue in my city with CDJs provided by the club, the rest have a mixer and you're expected to bring your own gear. Every resident DJ in my city - apart from one who uses CDJ2000s - use controllers. 3 DJs use Serato, one with a Vestax Typhoon, one with a DDJ-Ergo, the other with a controller I'm not sure of the model of. The rest use Traktor, some with an S4, one with a Pioneer DDJ-S1, one with an American Audio VMS4, one with a Numark Mixdeck, and me with my Reloop gear.

    Even the DJs in the club that provides CDJs use a pair of 1000s, but do most of their actual work using an X1; that venue usually has 3-4 DJs per night, and not all of them use the CDJs. One particularly well-known act there use an S2.

  10. #20
    Tech Guru narrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Tbh, I say everyone should just follow my lead and refuse to play on CDJs full stop. If everyone did that, controllers would VERY quickly become the industry standard.

    Saying that, if I walked into a venue and they had an S4 already set up, I'd very quickly start regretting my decision.
    My comments here are of topic as all im expressing is why I love to use cdj's and mixer.

    Cdj's are just nice to play on fullstop.... (imo)

    Controllers to me are just a pain in the arse to set up, soundcard, laptop, pulling cables whilst the other dj is playing. Something that TEED said in that latest interview about "the element of danger" I like this, plus I find there is something therapeutic with beat matching, I dont know, i feel the track better hearing it at its produced speed than pitching up and down and the small progression between.

    The only time I feel annoyed at a dj using traktor or any other software that has sync functionality is when im not hearing something special, when its not dynamic... Im not talking about beatmashing and juggling and all that jarg, I jsut feel that if you have that tool and you've gone to the trouble of setting up your gear, you could bring a little something, something for the haters to go "hey that was cool, really difficult to get that out of a cdj"

    my suggestion, even if you dont want to try cdj's, at least mix externally.... mixing internally is rubbish by comparison.

    The main club I play has had cdj nexus for 4 moths now, I havnt seen one dj take advantage of sync function, I have a few ideas that I want to try that I need it for but ill wait till i HAVE MY OWN AT HOME SO THAT WHEN IM THE FIRST GUY TO HIT THAT SYNC BUTTON my fellow dj's will be impressed enough not to snob it and realise its potential.......

    Heres an idea that i want to use useing sync function with Nexus. Still yet play it out, I quickly recorded it in traktor so its rough, but you get the idea.

    https://soundcloud.com/djnarrah/frea...-mini-mini-mix
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •