The "club standard" CDJ. Lack of respect for controllerists. Why? - Page 3
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post

I guess this is a US vs Europe thing; over here in the UK, you'll be hard pressed to find a DJ using CDJs - most people use Traktor or Serato, and almost always with controllers.
    I've no idea where in the UK you are, but in my neck of the woods (Brighton/London) I never see any DJ in a professional environment (i.e. not at a student/bar setup) using a controller as the main interface. Some use a fader/button box or APC to control ableton, and quite a few use Traktor in advanced HID mode with CDJ's. But nobody uses a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    Can someone tell me if the older standard CDJ1000's gave a bpm display?

I think if they did, then that is just a pinch away from having sync.
    No....

youve never layed hand to one, so how can you say at a pinch, a pinch away.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Quote Originally Posted by iambiggles View Post
    I've no idea where in the UK you are, but in my neck of the woods (Brighton/London) I never see any DJ in a professional environment (i.e. not at a student/bar setup) using a controller as the main interface. Some use a fader/button box or APC to control ableton, and quite a few use Traktor in advanced HID mode with CDJ's. But nobody uses a controller.
    I'm in the Midlands. Maybe it's a north/south divide thing lol. Still, I'm quite surprised that down south aren't ahead of the scene up here :-\

Tech Mentor

Depends on if you think controllerism, or use of controllers is ahead or not Personally I think controllers are a good addition to the DJ booth, but not a replacement for CDJ's. i.e. for ableton etc.

Tech Mentor

I'm in Newcastle and its extremely rare to see a DJ using a controller, 90 percent of the decent venues have some form of cdj, always at least 800s.

I wouldn't class venues having no cdjs as ahead of the scene either lol I'd class it as tight owners, quite silly to be honest. The downfall of an all in one controller for me is the all in one bit, one spilt drink equals no equipment!
    Last edited by Jeff Scott; 03-06-2013 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    Can someone tell me if the older standard CDJ1000's gave a bpm display?

I think if they did, then that is just a pinch away from having sync.
    Lol. Have you ever played on real cdjs? CDJ 1000 MK3 shows BPM , yeah , but its not accurate ! He can shows you 128 BPM , but in reality the track can be between 127.9 & 128.9! Will always show 128 BPMs . Its all about the reading Algorithm . There is no better sync than your own ears , and in this case you have to use them to sync!

Quote Originally Posted by pbcrazy9898 View Post
    I just purchased CDJ's coming from a a VCI-100 and its definitely more of a challenge. I can't say anything about a club standard cuz I don't really get very many gigs but its not just beatmatching that was hard for me. Theres something more challenging about mixing Externally vs. Internally too.

IDK Hes prolly just mad cuz he spent $3000+ on his set up and he's being outperformed by a kid with a few midi fighters and a laptop.

I can see both sides of the story.
    There's something more challenging about riding a unicycle. Doesn't mean I'm riding it to work.

>

Remember when we cared more about what was coming out of the speakers?

Now all I hear is "what software? What gear? blah blah."

Meanwhile Pauly D is headlining at WMC 2013 : http://wmc.wantickets.com/Artists/993/DJ-PAULY-D/

Wake up people.

>

Tech Guru

dead horse aside...i agree that cdjs, turntables etc have been the standard since the dawn of djing in some shape or form. I come from learning with vinyl 14 years ago, moving to cdjs, then to DVS...i still prefer the modular setup because its what i know the best, it also helps redundancy should anything go wrong.

I do however, have a completely irrational lack of respect for young djs who use the all in one type of controllers...i know i cant justify it, but its there...and i apologise for it lol
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    I'm in the Midlands. Maybe it's a north/south divide thing lol. Still, I'm quite surprised that down south aren't ahead of the scene up here :-\
    I've been to clubs in the North and South and have yet to see a controller in any professional/commercial set. Every booth I've seen has CDJs and the occasional set of turntables, and DJs are either using Serato or Traktor with DVS/HID or just mixing exclusively with the CDJs.

Toys like the Ergo and Typhoon can hardly be called "ahead of the scene".
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast