The "club standard" CDJ. Lack of respect for controllerists. Why? - Page 4
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    I've been to clubs in the North and South and have yet to see a controller in any professional/commercial set. Every booth I've seen has CDJs and the occasional set of turntables, and DJs are either using Serato or Traktor with DVS/HID or just mixing exclusively with the CDJs.

Toys like the Ergo and Typhoon can hardly be called "ahead of the scene".
    I've been to internet cafe's around the world and I have yet to see an Apple Mac computer.

That must mean that Windows is better.

Huh? CDJ's are the standard because it's the easiest solution for the club.

Personally, The CDJ club setup sucks for me.

I have two options. #1 Bring a USB drive or #2 Burn CDR's.

I like to bring 100+ tracks to a gig and feel the crowd.

Option #1 I have to deal with browsing 100+ tracks on a horrible tiny LCD screen.

Option #2 is like going back to 1995. Burning a folder of CD's ? That's "ahead of the scene"

>

Tech Guru

They are easier for the DJs as well as the clubs. If you don't want to burn discs you can use HID/DVS and bring your laptop into the booth.

HID gives you all the benefits of a computer without the hassle of bringing a whole setup with you.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    I've been to internet cafe's around the world and I have yet to see an Apple Mac computer.

That must mean that Windows is better.

Huh? CDJ's are the standard because it's the easiest solution for the club.

Personally, The CDJ club setup sucks for me.

I have two options. #1 Bring a USB drive or #2 Burn CDR's.

I like to bring 100+ tracks to a gig and feel the crowd.

Option #1 I have to deal with browsing 100+ tracks on a horrible tiny LCD screen.

Option #2 is like going back to 1995. Burning a folder of CD's ? That's "ahead of the scene"

>
    Yep pretty sure DVS negates any of these issues.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

If I bring my laptop then I'm bringing Traktor and I'm showing these HID/DVS momo's how we do it in 2013.

CDJ's feel like the past to me. The S4 feels better to mix on.

>
    Last edited by loverocket; 03-06-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by narrah View Post
    No....

youve never layed hand to one, so how can you say at a pinch, a pinch away.

That's why I was asking.

I used 1210's, had a long break, and now use Traktor.

One thing I know is having a bpm counter makes it hell of a lot quicker to do your beat matching than on 1210's, even if it's not spot on, you've just then got the fine tuning to do.
    Last edited by Timbo21; 03-06-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Tech Guru

If I bring my laptop then I'm bringing Traktor and I'm showing these HID/DVS momo's how we do it in 2013.
    You do know that HID and DVS use Traktor just as much as any controller right?

If you want to show off a controller against CDJs at least pick one that's well made, not something entirely plastic and fragile like the S4.

The X1 buttons are much nicer to press than the ones on the S4, and Maschine has much nicer pots. Jogs are awful on the S4 and the faders are mediocre.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You do know that HID and DVS use Traktor just as much as any controller right?

If you want to show off a controller against CDJs at least pick one that's well made, not something entirely plastic and fragile like
    Plastic and fragile like the CDJ and/or any DJM Mixer?

Yes. Traktor has HID control. I am actually running out the door to spend $4000 on two CDJ-2000's so I can do less than what I could do on the $800 S4.

I played around with the Pioneer DDJ-SX the other day. That feels like the future.

>
    Last edited by loverocket; 03-06-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Tech Guru

The DDJ-SX is a great example of a quality controller. The S4 however is not. It doesn't come close to the modern high end controllers in build quality, nevermind a proper hardware mixer. Lying about CDJs and decent mixers being fragile or costing twice their actual price really doesn't help your argument.

Pioneer gear is expensive and you're not expected to have a full club setup at home. That's why its called a club setup.

Plastic and fragile like the CDJ and/or any DJM Mixer?

Yes. Traktor has HID control. I am actually running out the door to spend $4000 on two CDJ-2000's so I can do less than what I could do on the $800 S4.

>
    No need to go get the cdj2000 but why not use them if they are already in the booth at the club you play? I have and DDJ SX and use it sometimes when I play at a club but if they already have a set of CDJ2000 and DJM 900 I use them in Advanced HID I just bring my F1 and use it in midi mode to controll hotcue, loops and FX. only real diference between the club setup and my DDJ SX is better layout for using Traktor with my DDJ SX. I can do all the same things with the Club standard + F1 and laptop as I can do with only my Laptop and DDJ SX. Anyway in my country there is only one club that has CDJ + DJM installed at the club and most DJ's are using controllers by now.
    Anyway to the CDJ DJ's looking down on controllers ... I don't realy care I get gigs and I can fill a dance floor no matter if I happen to use CDJ's or my controller. You should not be conserned about what other DJ's think of what you use you should be more concerned about if people are dancing to what you play.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by narrah View Post
    The only time I feel annoyed at a dj using traktor or any other software that has sync functionality is when im not hearing something special, when its not dynamic... Im not talking about beatmashing and juggling and all that jarg, I jsut feel that if you have that tool and you've gone to the trouble of setting up your gear, you could bring a little something, something for the haters to go "hey that was cool, really difficult to get that out of a cdj"

my suggestion, even if you dont want to try cdj's, at least mix externally.... mixing internally is rubbish by comparison.
    And thats why DJs with controllers arent respected. So because I own an S4, I'm obligated to put on a show with 3+ tracks at all times? I have to over use effects just so I can justify my controller? Also, since I use Traktor, does that mean that i'm using the sync button?

I play D&B, not a genre thats prone to looping for 5 minutes straight. Most of the tunes are too busy to bother with effects, and personally, I enjoy "just mixing". Even if that means actually letting the track play and doing a simple bass swap from one to another. Does that make me "just another kid" whos trying to DJ? Ive been doing this for a little over ten years and the amount of ignorance that people display against others who use controllers baffles me.

Im constantly bombarded with guys who say "Why arent you using the remix decks?" "Why arent you using 4 tracks?" or my favorite "You should use the effects more!"

CDJs were met with resistance but I dont remember it being this bad. Learn to deal with it.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast