The "club standard" CDJ. Lack of respect for controllerists. Why? - Page 8
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

This whole, "turn up to the venue with headphones and a USB stick" attitude REALLY pisses me off. It's like saying, "I'm such a rockstar I can just show up and play any old crap and people will just have to be grateful". DJing isn't just blending two tracks together like it used to be in the vinyl days (unless you were a scratch DJ), in this day and age you're expected to be actually remixing tracks live on the fly; whether you use a 4 deck setup or 2 decks and samples/effects/Maschine/Ableton/etc, you're supposed to be creating something NEW, not just playing back someone else's mixes. How exactly are you supposed to accomplish that using a USB of MP3s and a pair of CDJs?

If you're not showing up to a venue with your own equipment, you're not a DJ, you're a fucking jukebox.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    I have been DJing for 20+ years and I've always hated CDJ's. They don't feel anything close to an SL-1200. It is overpriced plastic garbage. And why would you put indented dimples on the side of the platters ??
    Who uses those dimples? They just make you slip while pitch bending. And they still carried that crap into the CDJ-2000.
    And what's with that motorized resistance feeling? Is there a motor in there??? Turn it on then. Spin like a turntable ! It's strange.

The Pioneer DDJ-SX has better feeling jogs than the CDJ-2000.

>
    This. I started on Vinyl, skipped CDJs entirely, and then went to Traktor + MIDI. CDJs made sense when they were peoples' only alternative to vinyl, because it meant you had less stuff to carry to the venue. Now, they're just overpriced, underspecced pieces of plastic only purchased by ignorant people and hipsters.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    This whole, "turn up to the venue with headphones and a USB stick" attitude REALLY pisses me off. It's like saying, "I'm such a rockstar I can just show up and play any old crap and people will just have to be grateful". DJing isn't just blending two tracks together like it used to be in the vinyl days (unless you were a scratch DJ), in this day and age you're expected to be actually remixing tracks live on the fly; whether you use a 4 deck setup or 2 decks and samples/effects/Maschine/Ableton/etc, you're supposed to be creating something NEW, not just playing back someone else's mixes. How exactly are you supposed to accomplish that using a USB of MP3s and a pair of CDJs?

If you're not showing up to a venue with your own equipment, you're not a DJ, you're a fucking jukebox.
    nobody in this entire discussion has said that people should be using CDJs as anything but HID controllers We are not telling you to use CDs or flashdrives, we are not the people you're talking about. Everyone in this discussion has advocated using modular controllers along with CDJs in HID mode. Do you not understand what HID mode is maybe?

Now, they're just overpriced, underspecced pieces of plastic only purchased by ignorant people and hipsters.
    Yes, everyone but you is wrong and an idiot. Every multi-million-dollar club owner, huge event promoter, every talented DJ who uses CDJs, they're all total retards.

Where do you usually play again? Can we get a facebook page maybe? A soundcloud? A DJ onesheet maybe with club references? Because you sound like a bedroom DJ with no practical knowledge of the DJ scene.
    Last edited by octostout; 03-06-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Tech Guru

How exactly are you supposed to accomplish that using a USB of MP3s and a pair of CDJs?

I think you are limited by your creativity not the equipment man.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    I think you are limited by your creativity not the equipment man.
    Yeah man. I remember the first time I looped on the fly on an SL-1200. You gotta be real quick.

>

Tech Wizard

Well, looks like I'll be buying CDJs.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Yeah man. I remember the first time I looped on the fly on an SL-1200. You gotta be real quick.

>
    Your glass must always be half empty. I'm pretty sure his quote referred to CDJ's.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by octostout View Post
    nobody in this entire discussion has said that people should be using CDJs as anything but HID controllers We are not the people you're talking about. Everyone in this discussion has advocated using modular controllers along with CDJs in HID mode. Do you not understand what HID mode is maybe?
    Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    What a standard set up does is just that. It gives folks a standard to set up to play on and a controller DOES NOT offer than. You can play at any large venue with a USB and headphones.

Some folks just don't get it.
    And I still say using a CDJ - even in HID mode - is just a waste of space in the booth. It gives you a RIDICULOUSLY limited set of transport controls. You could use a single Reloop Contour with Traktor and do more than you could with a pair of CDJs. And the Contour will only set you back £130.

Can't wait for the iPad(tablet) vs controller debate to start.. that will be a more entertaining thread to read.

I can't wait to see people showing up to play raves with this: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmix/

This. I started on Vinyl, skipped CDJs entirely, and then went to Traktor + MIDI. CDJs made sense when they were peoples' only alternative to vinyl, because it meant you had less stuff to carry to the venue. Now, they're just overpriced, underspecced pieces of plastic only purchased by ignorant people and hipsters.

LOL -

What a load of bollocks!

you clearly from a another generation and don't know your history...!

what do you think DJ's used before CD's/USB... VINYL!
    what would a DJ turn up to a club with VINYL!

so are you saying all these people are no longer dj's because they haven't used the beat masher? im not evan going to name dj names i'll be here all day!

its the same shit different FORMAT.

things are just evolved and there are more than one option become a dj

and for the record scratch dj's dont normally "blend"
    Last edited by MRG12EG; 03-06-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post
    LOL -

What a load of bollocks!

you clearly from a another generation and don't know your history...!

what do you think DJ's used before CD's/USB... VINYL!
    what would a DJ turn up to a club with VINYL!

so are you saying all these people are no longer dj's because they haven't used the beat masher? im not evan going to name dj names i'll be here all day!

its the same shit different FORMAT.

things are just evolved and there are more than one option become a dj
    Actually, I was one of those people who used to have to turn up to a venue with a stack of vinyl. I also used to take an Electribe EM-1 with me to assist with live remixes. The point is, these days things have advanced to the point where simply taking your music on (insert relevant storage medium - vinyl, minidisc, cd, SD card, usb stick) and playing A-->B, B-->A using a set of TTs or CDJs just doesn't cut it anymore.

So my bias against those who turn up to a venue with a USB stick is quite, quite justified.

EDIT: Unless, of course, you're a scratch DJ. But that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast