turning a controller into a wireless one?!?

Default turning a controller into a wireless one?!?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a product and quite frankly I'm not sure if its even going to be something that is on the market.

I have a macbook pro where the usb ports have stopped responding. I use my backbook for djin on the weekends and I use a usb controller to controller the laptop.

I obviously now have a problem where I am unable to connect the controller to the macbook as it's no longer recognising it.

I've tried all manner of fixes etc and this evening I was wondering if there is some sort of adapter I can plug into the controller that will transmit the signal to the macbook and still control it. It would only be connected via the wireless adapter already built into the macbook mind.

Cheers!

RC.

Off the top of my head, nope. The closest you might be able to come is via some sort of relay device like a tablet, and OSC control over the network. It's REALLY risky though either way, you'd be better off opening the MacBook up and trying to repair the USB ports.

Tech Wizard

Quneo rogue is wireless. Although I think the money would be better spent getting your lappy fixed

no it doesnt exist on the market
    and you cant really retrofit one because the USB port on your controller is say SIDE A
    and the other side of the USB would need to be SIDE B (according to your needs)
    however, since the devices werent built to suit that need, the setup you WOULD be able to retrofit wont work
    because your ports are built in, and they are in revers

for example
    look at your controller. Its has the almost square USB side right?
    Look at your laptop, it has the FLAT usb side.....
    to make this work the way you want
    those two connection would need to be reversed
    and the other problem is

you would need to have the ability to assign an IP address to both the controller AND the laptop
    so they can communicate with each other using alternate devices.
    But again, controllers were not built this way so that function does not exist inside them either.

Bottom line.... get the USB ports fixed

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    no it doesnt exist on the market
    and you cant really retrofit one because the USB port on your controller is say SIDE A
    and the other side of the USB would need to be SIDE B (according to your needs)
    however, since the devices werent built to suit that need, the setup you WOULD be able to retrofit wont work
    because your ports are built in, and they are in revers

for example
    look at your controller. Its has the almost square USB side right?
    Look at your laptop, it has the FLAT usb side.....
    to make this work the way you want
    those two connection would need to be reversed
    and the other problem is

you would need to have the ability to assign an IP address to both the controller AND the laptop
    so they can communicate with each other using alternate devices.
    But again, controllers were not built this way so that function does not exist inside them either.

Bottom line.... get the USB ports fixed

What arrrre you on about, wireless doesn't necessarily mean wifi. And the shape of USB ports has nothing to do with this issue of networking/connecting the controller. It's more the fact that a MIDI controller doesn't have at ability to run as a USB host or use a wifi dongle...

Anyway, the only real way around this would be to get an iPad (very reliable using CoreMIDI), I'd not recommend Android though as it's frankly shit for audio and MIDI.

Any sort of wireless interface you'd add would likely need USB anyway.

Might be able to get a firewire/thunderbolt to usb or a thunderbolt dock with usb but that'd probably be very expensive and clumsy to use.

the only way around this is by plugging the controller into another computer and using software like midi over ip to send the controller data to your macbook. but then you need 2 laptops..

fix the usb
    :: psy/OPs ¯ DRUM&BASS ¯ DUBSTEP ♫ _
    :: Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter //
    : ¯