[HELP PLEASE] Finding a MIDI controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default [HELP PLEASE] Finding a MIDI controller

Hey everyone!
    So I've been using my Kontrol S4 for some months now (i am a beginner), and I've started getting interested in remixing, making my own tracks both at home and live. Now i've been looking at 3 different MIDI controllers:

- The NI Maschine MK2
    - The Novation Launchpad
    - The NI Traktor F1

Now remember i am new to all this, so pardon if i don't know all the words and stuff
    But can you guys tell me what controller is for me? I will be happy to answer all questions.
    I've also looked at the pricing. Since i am still a teenager with school and only work 2 days a week after school, i am not able to just "buy everything" ... But i've seen that the Maschine is pretty expensive.. I can of course buy it used off different pages but compared to the Launchpad which is almost a fourth of the Maschines price, i really need to know if the Maschine is better or worse and how and why.

What i think i know so far is that (what i think i know :P) Maschine is mostly for producing at HOME. Making beats and music (which i really wanna do other than DJ'ing). The launchpad can also be used at home for making beats, but is more (?) for live remixing in front of a crowd. And the same with the F1.
    Am i completely wrong or..?

Well thanks to the ones who wanted to read and please help me! I really really want to start making music, since i have a lot of ideas. I also wanna add that i do have the latest Ableton since my brother bought it.

Thanks in advance,

Anton Sherar

What you need to understand is this: There's not a lot you can do in terms of "remixing" other than effects, mashups, cue point juggling, and launching samples, unless you want to spend the hours to do a proper remix at home. That said, the Maschine (full size) seems like it might be for you, as it will get you started in a very basic DAW but has enough knobs/buttons to really get creative when you do go live.

Personally I'd get the F1; you can always map it to Ableton or any other production software, in which case it'll fulfil basically the same role as the Maschine. In addition, you'll be able to use it live AS WELL.

I just want something i can use for both having fun improvising on-stage and making music at home
    But thanks for the quick response!
    But if you tell me to get the F1, why would anyone pick the Maschine over the F1?

And can't i use Machine live?

Tech Mentor

You can use Maschine live. There are some great mapping for Maschine+Traktor in the maps section. Also, you can run Maschine as a live input in Traktor. This is what guys like Bass Kleph, Hawtin and I believe Booka Shade does as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggChev View Post
    You can use Maschine live. There are some great mapping for Maschine+Traktor in the maps section. Also, you can run Maschine as a live input in Traktor. This is what guys like Bass Kleph, Hawtin and I believe Booka Shade does as well.
    So which do you recommend?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Get Maschine, you get way more than just a MIDI controller.

Tech Mentor

Maschine, like Padi said. SOO much more than a controller.

Maschine. Launchpad is good, but the pads aren't as nice as the machine. Plus, you can run the maschine without a computer I do believe. Solid piece of gear. Save up, you won't regret it.

If you want to just rock traktor though, the F1 is also a solid choice.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Numbox View Post
    I just want something i can use for both having fun improvising on-stage and making music at home
    But thanks for the quick response!
    But if you tell me to get the F1, why would anyone pick the Maschine over the F1?

And can't i use Machine live?
    As far as I'm aware, Maschine's main draw is that it's a SAMPLER as well as a control unit... You also get a collection of samples included in the box, but considering how there's so many free samples out there (and you could make your own using free synths and whatnot), it's never really been particularly attractive to me.

Also, Maschine doesn't integrate with Traktor's Remix decks properly - STILL - which is a bit of a pain in the arse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast