Way beginner. Any tips/advice would be very much appreciated!

Default Way beginner. Any tips/advice would be very much appreciated!

So I've recently become very interested with DJing and using controllers to mix songs. I've looked around on this website as well as some others, but it seems like there is so much info and is kind of overwhelming. I'd like to get started as soon as I can, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of setup a beginner like me would look like. If you guys have any suggestions or advice, that would be so helpful and would mean a ton
    I'm very interested in a Midi Fighter Pro because they look like a lot of fun to use and play with. Again, I'm open to all advice and if you need to ask me any questions go ahead and I'll respond the best I can

A lot of the people on this forum are going to tell you download Virtual DJ and play around to see if your srs about it.
    I wouldn't say just jump straight into the midi fighter, since it's not in all in one controller even though you can map it to be.
    I would probably recommend the Nurmark mixtrak (It's going to be your choice if you want pro/2)

This will give you the ability to be able to control effects to some sort and be able to blend your mixes together, you will have a small eq.

Other options:
    Traktor x1

You need this or you're not a real DJ http://pioneerdj.com/french/products...umedition.html
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Childrenatplay View Post
    A lot of the people on this forum are going to tell you download Virtual DJ and play around to see if your srs about it.
    I wouldn't say just jump straight into the midi fighter, since it's not in all in one controller even though you can map it to be.
    I would probably recommend the Nurmark mixtrak (It's going to be your choice if you want pro/2)

This will give you the ability to be able to control effects to some sort and be able to blend your mixes together, you will have a small eq.

Other options:
    Traktor x1
    Thank you for the info! Do you personally have experience with those Numark products? They look pretty solid. Also, would you reccomend Traktor Pro to start out with? If I do become more serious about this I was thinking about mainly using Traktor/Ableton, so I thought maybe I should become familiar with Traktor now, unless it isn't noob friendly. What other equipment would you recommend? Monitoring speakers/headphones? I've heard there are some good beyerdynamic and sennheiser headphones.

I do, the Numark are really good intro controllers, but they are what you pay for (Plastic everything)
    Traktor is very Noob friendly, but can be advance on what you try to do.
    If you want you can start off with traktor just make sure what you want to buy before you do.

Djtechtools has many post/articials on headphones and monitors, so look around and you should find what fits you.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by pancakemix24 View Post
    So I've recently become very interested with DJing and using controllers to mix songs. I've looked around on this website as well as some others, but it seems like there is so much info and is kind of overwhelming. I'd like to get started as soon as I can, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of setup a beginner like me would look like.
    As mentioned above, the Numark Mixtrack Pro is a great starter piece. Here's why:

- You can get one for about $160
    - It runs Serato Intro, which is a lite version of industry standard software
    - It's very popular and well-supported.

The Hercules DJ Console RMX is also a decent starter option.

Here is a guide which suggests 5 controllers from each of 3 price ranges (premium, mid-range, and budget/beginner):
    http://www.passionatedj.com/guides/b...troller-guide/

All of the controllers in the above guide are "all-in-one" options, which means they have a mixing section, built-in sound interface, etc. Everything you need in one piece of hardware.

Here's a link which discusses all-in-one vs. modular setups:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/08/0...ar-dj-set-ups/

If you're willing to spend a little more, and don't mind the lack of jog wheels, the Novation Twitch is a pretty cool option.

Good luck!

If you can afford it, the Hercules RMX 2 is a FAR better unit than the Mixtrack Pro; it has a proper 4-in-4-out audio interface in it, which is pretty low latency, which means you can theoretically use it as a DVS system with Virtual DJ, Torq, Mixxx, etc and a pair of CDJs/Turntables.

Tech Wizard

i second the Mixtrack Pro too. if you live in a major city you can probably pick one up off craigslist for pennies aswell.

If you really think you want to get into djing you can sell it back on craigslist and not lose to much while learning on the basics.