Reconnect USB drive during an Ableton dj set
    Tech Convert

Default Reconnect USB drive during an Ableton dj set

So I was djing last night with Ableton using an APC40 and an external hard drive. Mid way through the set the hard drive got disconnected and when I re-plugged Ableton still wasnt able to pick up the tracks.

Is there a way to rescan for the drive without shutting Ableton down?

Thanks

S

Tech Guru

Does it work now? That sounds like your hard drive has failed.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Does it work now? That sounds like your hard drive has failed.
    No the hard drive is absolutely fine - its just that Ableton
    doesnt seem to automatically rescan for the drive
    if it becomes disconnected? Is there a way for Ableton
    to automatically reconnect?

Tech Guru

Okay, the only thing I can think of is that your hard drive is going to sleep because it's not being accessed for long enough. In which case, I'd use this:

http://nosleephd.codeplex.com/releases/view/24052

Run that in the background and it basically stops your hard drive from going to sleep, and it's designed to have as little CPU usage as possible.

"Mid way through the set the hard drive got disconnected and when I re-plugged Ableton still wasnt able to pick up the tracks."

Sounds to me like the cable got pulled either by accident or deliberately... he's not looking for a way to STOP it from disconnecting, just to get Ableton to re-detect his library when its reconnected. Sometimes shit like this happens during gigs, he's looking for a "just in case" solution lol.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    "Mid way through the set the hard drive got disconnected and when I re-plugged Ableton still wasnt able to pick up the tracks."

Sounds to me like the cable got pulled either by accident or deliberately... he's not looking for a way to STOP it from disconnecting, just to get Ableton to re-detect his library when its reconnected. Sometimes shit like this happens during gigs, he's looking for a "just in case" solution lol.
    Exactly if I manually search for the tracks Ableton will find them on the usb drive when I re-connect, its just Id rather not have to manually search for the file locations if this happens. Surely Abelton have an automatic reconnect option??