Filter sweeps in Traktor impossible?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Filter sweeps in Traktor impossible?

Hey everyone!

This past weekend I saw both Calvin Harris and Excision here in Charlotte. One thing I seemed to notice that they do is they use the high pass filter to create a "whooshing" sound. It can create some serious build ups. I'm just wondering how this is possible in traktor. I'm using the ladder filter, but there's just no resonance until you get to about 60 - 70%. I have a Kontrol S2, so I'm starting to wonder if this would be different with the S4? Maybe something to do with hardware filter vs software filter? Please help me out! The filter is quite possibly my favorite tool in DJ'ing, but it's just lackluster as is. I tried my buddy's DDJ-SX out and the filter was beautiful. As soon as I started moving the knob I would get a "whoosh" sound. Please, someone tell me there's a way to emulate this in Traktor! I don't want to get a serato board! I don't care if I have to down grade Traktor versions.

Tech Guru

Set one of the effects units to single and load the FILTER effect into it. You can dial the resonance up a ton.

Tech Mentor

You can use the LFO filter effect as Nemonic said, also, you can produce the sweeping sound if you move the filter quickly and smoothly, doing it gently doesn't work as well.

Though my main piece of advice is to take a bit of a step back...it's only a filter.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Set one of the effects units to single and load the FILTER effect into it. You can dial the resonance up a ton.
    This doesn't do anywhere near what I want it to do. It just makes the track quieter. No "whoosh."

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by CountenanT View Post
    You can use the LFO filter effect as Nemonic said, also, you can produce the sweeping sound if you move the filter quickly and smoothly, doing it gently doesn't work as well.

Though my main piece of advice is to take a bit of a step back...it's only a filter.
    This doesn't work though. There's no "whoosh." Hey! When I think something sounds cool I want to implement it into my sets. I've always been obsessed with the filter haha.

I'm going to go with O.E.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

Are you using the Ladder Filter Type? (in Mixer settings)

Edit: sorry, didn't read properly. Your friend may be using the Noise Colour FX rather than the regular filter?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Are you using the Ladder Filter Type? (in Mixer settings)

Edit: sorry, didn't read properly. Your friend may be using the Noise Colour FX rather than the regular filter?
    Nope. I was using the main filter knob. It had way more resonance.

Tech Guru

Well, my DJM 900 "Filter" doesn't make a huge amount of resonance, whereas the Noise FX (same knob as the filter btw!) makes a much louder "whooshing" sound as soon as it's enabled.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Well, my DJM 900 "Filter" doesn't make a huge amount of resonance, whereas the Noise FX (same knob as the filter btw!) makes a much louder "whooshing" sound as soon as it's enabled.
    I'm just wondering how to get this in Traktor. I really loved the way Calvin Harris, GTA, Vaski, Paper Diamond, and Excision used the effect in their sets. I know that what they did can't be done with the ladder filter. It just doesn't "whoosh!" Need me some whoosh, man!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast