Quality and price
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quality and price

Hi everyone first time posting here so please be patient.I have been a member of this forum for a while but have generally found any questions I wanted to ask had been already answered saving me a lot of time and hassle, but one thing that confuses me is the massive hate / love for certain equipment,let me explain I have had various types and brands of dj and production equipment for about 15 years my current set up is a mixture of top quality and mid quality brands of equipment and it really confuses me where people's approach changes when it comes to dj equipment.For example when ever someone says they are going to buy some cdj2000 nexus's there always a big group that jumps on it saying its a waste of money to buy the best quality gear for use ONLY at home but I bet these people or at least some of them would buy the best brand of other equipment because they could afford it example IPAD, MACBOOK or a top brand tv that does nothing better than a smaller brand so why do they feel that dj equipment is any different? there are many brands of tablet out there but people buy iPads for the brand and quality even though we all know that iPad does nothing different to all the tablets available and yes I'm typing this post on an iPad . So I guess this is my first question on the forum do people really think that some cdj2000's are a waste of money for home or is it down to price vs functions or is it jealousy that someone can afford to buy these pieces of equipment because they possibly have worked many hours extra to save for the top equipment that they trust and has been proven over and over again to be reliable and after all we have all at some point brought the slightly cheaper version of something only for it to break and have to be replaced with another or even what you were going to buy in the first place.

Just my opinion and would love to here others reasons / opinions for selecting different brands and quality of equipment

Tech Guru

Yes, getting brand new CDJ 2000 Nexuses for bedroom use is overkill. You may want to look at an all-in-one controller like the DDJ-SX if it's just for home use, or possibly a used pair of older CDJs.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles82 View Post
    For example when ever someone says they are going to buy some cdj2000 nexus's there always a big group that jumps on it saying its a waste of money to buy the best quality gear for use ONLY at home but I bet these people or at least some of them would buy the best brand of other equipment because they could afford it example IPAD, MACBOOK or a top brand tv that does nothing better than a smaller brand so why do they feel that dj equipment is any different?
    I wouldn't, because I'm not a bloody moron.

If there's no benefit to spending more on something, then you might as well just take your money and set fire to it. Seriously; take the lowest denomination bill in your wallet right now, and set fire to it... that's how it feels wasting money on Pioneer gear, or Apple, or Sony, etc etc.

In fact, buying CDJ2000s is even worse, because you get LESS features than even the most basic MIDI controller. Buying one of those is like taking your money, setting fire to it, and then inserting it into one of your more private orifices.

Thanks for the reply was more of a survey style question than what should i buy question but nice to have a reply .I already have all the equipment anyone could ever need including cdj 's mixer ,keyboards,maschine, ableton ,apc20, launchpad, 2x f1's ,a traktor s2 and full studio mixing desk set up at home I was aiming more for why people buy the best tv's,dvd players,washing machines and other electrical goods that do the same as all the cheaper brands but won't buy the best dj equipment coz they see this in a different light and that when it comes to dj equipment the more than you need type equipment is all of a sudden a waste of money but a MacBook pro is ok/ not overkill that's twice the price of an equivalent windows laptop of the same or better spec

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Apple, or Sony, etc etc.
    Apple and Sony make some great products at competitive prices.

you get LESS features than even the most basic MIDI controller.
    Please give an example of a basic MIDI controller that has:
    A large tension-adjustable jog wheel, long high-res fader, large responsive cueing buttons, 10cm LCD display.
    SD card, USB, and CD slots for mixing completely independant of a computer.
    Soundcard with a high-end DAC and both analogue and digital outputs.
    HID control integration with all the major DJ software options.

Matter of opinion.

Have you ever considered giving constructive arguments, especially to those new to the forum?

a MacBook pro is ok/ not overkill that's twice the price of an equivalent windows laptop of the same or better spec
    I've yet to see any Windows-based laptop that equals a Macbook Air/15"Pro/Retina in specs and build quality at a significantly lower price. The standard 13" Pro is a little weak and overpriced I'll admit.
    Last edited by makar1; 03-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Do you really need answers to your post? Your opinion is as valid as anyone elses - and the great thing about opinions is that they are neither right or wrong.

They're just opinions.

If I had a million in the bank, my opinion would be that spending a grand on a mixer was not a problem. But if I earned £20k a year, I'm sure I'd have a different opinion.

Just because someones opinion is based on a different set of circumstances than your own, doesn't make them any more right or wrong than yours.

/lesson

If there's no benefit to spending more on something, then you might as well just take your money and set fire to it. Seriously; take the lowest denomination bill in your wallet right now, and set fire to it... that's how it feels wasting money on Pioneer gear, or Apple, or Sony, etc etc.

In fact, buying CDJ2000s is even worse, because you get LESS features than even the most basic MIDI controller. Buying one of those is like taking your money, setting fire to it, and then inserting it into one of your more private orifices.
    Couldn't agree more on the whole over priced under-spec debate when it comes to most modern tech,although I am posting from an iPad it is an iPad one not even close to the the latest generation,that's because it still works the same as the day I took it from the box so maybe another angle on the QUALITY / FEATURES/ PRICE back then this tablet was overpriced to most even me ( someone who's a gadget junky)but after many many drops the dog jumping on it and a stupid amount of uses and charges it's still going strong so now I think I have had my money's worth from this item and if it slowed down and died completely I would probably go out and buy another iPad even though I could get one of the cheaper tablets for about half the price.

Couldn't agree more on the whole over priced under-spec debate when it comes to most modern tech,although I am posting from an iPad it is an iPad one not even close to the the latest generation,that's because it still works the same as the day I took it from the box so maybe another angle on the QUALITY / FEATURES/ PRICE back then this tablet was overpriced to most even me ( someone who's a gadget junky)but after many many drops the dog jumping on it and a stupid amount of uses and charges it's still going strong so now I think I have had my money's worth from this item and if it slowed down and died completely I would probably go out and buy another iPad even though I could get one of the cheaper tablets for about half the price.
    I bought an HP Touchpad. I also use Pentax gear instead of Canon/Nikon, because you get the same - if not better features - for less money. I will NEVER buy a specific brand because if its name, regardless of what area of life I'm dealing with; DJing is no different.

Oh, and as for the CONSTANT Pro-Mac bullshit on here, here's an example:

MacBook Pro 15" w/ i7 3720QM, 8GB of DDR3, and a 500GB 7200rpm HDD, as calculated by Apple's configurator: £1,719
    ThinkPad T530 15.6" w/ i7 3720QM, 8GB of DDR3, and a 500GB 7200rpm HDD, as calculated by Lenovo's configurator: £1,235

Markup: 39% Apple Tax.

Mdc, Ill take the 39% tax to get the sexy osx GUI that is wrapped around the unix based OS. You can stick with your winbloze...

Just my opinion of course

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

MacBook Pro 15" w/ i7 3720QM, 8GB of DDR3, and a 500GB 7200rpm HDD, as calculated by Apple's configurator: £1,719
    ThinkPad T530 15.6" w/ i7 3720QM, 8GB of DDR3, and a 500GB 7200rpm HDD, as calculated by Lenovo's configurator: £1,235

Markup: 39% Apple Tax.
    Apples and oranges mate: So the IBM has as good a build quality can Runs OSX (legitimately) and weighs 4.5 lbs ?

Its not an Apple Tax, in fact most manufactures charge a similar amount for an equivalent build quality and form factor (see the chrome book pixel or Asus's ultra books).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast