Is it possible to use Bomes to 'thin' midi data on the fly?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Jack Bastard

Default Is it possible to use Bomes to 'thin' midi data on the fly?

As it says above; looks like the VCI/Traktor problems that people are having are due to the Windows midi stack not being able to cope with the amount of controller data being sent through to it by the controller.

With that in mind I'm looking for a solution to this problem and if we can't beef up the stack maybe we can reduce the data going to it from the controller.

Bomes people, is this possible?

Yup its possible to thin out the data with Bomes, but the midi has to go though the stack before it gets to Bomes anyway - so its not really solving anything

Give it a go though Never know unless you try !

Id go about it by using global variables to track the messages then send only say 3 in 4 messages

Jack Bastard

I figured that it would all run through the stack but it's only since recent versions of Traktor that there's been any problem and apps like midi-ox continue to run happily without hanging, so presumably Traktor copes worse with high amounts of data than other apps.

At the end of the day it's a stab in the dark but if it works we could finally be coming to the end of the road for this issue.

Jack Bastard

For anyone who's having this problem and wants to test this potential fix here's a pertinent thread from the Bomes forum:

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic...highlight=thin

The problem is, what do you thin ?

If you use midi ox and move a rotary or slider slowly, you will see its data value increase slowly. If you move it rapidly, you will see that midi ox skips some values and only catches the relevant ones, which means the VCI is thinning out the data already.

I don't think this is a stack overflow causes by too much data. My hunch is that its a thread hang caused by traktor waiting for some message to come back that never does.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

Jack Bastard

I think it's worth a go, did you post your findings to the support team afterwards?

Hi Jack,

Posted everything I have found thus far.

So.. with the VCI already thinning the messages, what are you going to thin ?
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

Jack Bastard

The controller messages for the jogwheels for a start (I just need them sensitive enough to cue to a track, I don't scratch or anything), then see how it goes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by djmoonie View Post
    I don't think this is a stack overflow causes by too much data.
    I agree, but its worth testing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by djmoonie View Post
    I don't think this is a stack overflow causes by too much data. My hunch is that its a thread hang caused by traktor waiting for some message to come back that never does.
    No messages "come back" with midi - theres no 2 way communication when it comes to sending or receiving messages, messages are simply sent or received - there isn't any error correction or anything that like that makes sure that a message has indeed got though that would require this kind of two way communication.

Jack Bastard

I also reckon 'thinning' the output to the VCI may be a place to take a look too.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast