My very first gig.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default My very first gig.

i have my first gig on wednesday. im scared as hell! i'm bedroom dj, this is my first gig ever. any advice?

And this setup....i'm using turntables. Club Setup : Pioneer CDJ 900 and Ecler Evo 4. I have never seen this mixer before.

peace!

Tech Guru

Do you have any idea how to use CDJs, or beatmatch by ear?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

- Assuming you're old enough, feel free to have 1-2 beers, but no more.

- Pay attention to how monitoring/cueing works on the Evo 4, and see if it's different to what you're used to. That's probably the biggest scary "new mixer" problem imo.

- Go to the bathroom first.

- Being that this is a first gig, set up a playlist that you can fall back to if you panic. Don't be afraid to stray from it.

- Show up early. Pay attention.

- Don't freak out. Just get yourself in the swing of things and realize that you're just playing someone else's music. Be confident.

- Good luck!

Tech Wizard

guys, come on! i'm dj since i'm 17, now im 23 - i'm playing only on turntables and sometimes cdj's. i'm feeling pretty good about beatmatching. i was using cdj 1000, but i have never seen cdj 900 live bu i assume,, that they are simila (sort of) to cdj 1000.

Tech Wizard

and i'm using mixvibes DVS - there isn't even properly working BPM counter so i'm forced to beatmatch

forgot about "edit" option....sorry.

i'm worried about that mixer - this is some space stuff. i had ecler nuo 2, but this is much more advance i guess.

Tech Guru

If you're familiar with 1000s you'll be fine on 900s. One difference is there are no hotcues on the 900.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by qwak12345 View Post
    guys, come on! i'm dj since i'm 17, now im 23 - i'm playing only on turntables and sometimes cdj's. i'm feeling pretty good about beatmatching. i was using cdj 1000, but i have never seen cdj 900 live bu i assume,, that they are simila (sort of) to cdj 1000.
    Come on what? Just providing advice as requested.

Tech Wizard

Oka okay, sorry. but i'm so excited. this is pretty big club. i'd rather like play on Serato, but my friend can't borrow me her interface. meh. i mean, it's much harder to play without waveforms. i know my music quite good, but....THIS IS FIRT GIG! everything can happen (like alin invasion or something like that)

Tech Wizard

in Poland you need to 18 to drink, so that's cool. thanks for help guys

Tech Convert

You're gona screw things up. Everyone screws something in their first show. It's normal. No matter how professional you try to be, there's gonna be some kind of a situation where you won't be at your best. Happened to anyone I talked with about their first gig. Happened to me also. But it's mostly some small thing and you're gonna get a hang of it.

In my expirience, I accidentaly increased the master a db or two and it went red and the club owner came to tell me that the sound is clipping after a minute, I wasn't able to hear it from the DJ booth.

Other than that small thing that kinda pops out on everyone's first show, you'll feel great! And have a beer or two before the show like someone said before me, trust us, relaxing a little definitely helps. But no more! You need to be sober when you perform, trust us on that as well.

Hope I helped a little and don't be scared, it's a beautiful expirience.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast