Teachig a workshop on digital djing - any advice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Teachig a workshop on digital djing - any advice?

Hey, so I've been given the opportunity to teach an hour long workshop on the introduction to digital djing this coming Thursday to teens 12-18. Does anyone have any advice on what kind of topics I should cover and how I should go about doing this? I use a S2 with Traktor Pro 2. Has anyone done this kind of thing before?

EDIT: This thread is like a year old but I'm doing it again this year so any tips are still appreiated. Thanks fam.
    Last edited by misha_val; 03-16-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Tech Guru

Start of with beatmatching basics, then move onto volume faders, then EQs. Finding a good initial cuepoint is important too.

And don't let them look at the screen!
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Ensure they have an understanding of routing audio and assigning maps to controllers along with the DJing basics. Beginners waste a lot of time trying to get to grips with simple routing.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

One hour is short but with good planning you could cover a lot in a short period of time.

1 - Musical structure ( which I find more important than just right into the rest of the technical stuff)
    2 - technical (beatmatch, eq etc)
    3 - advantages of digital djing (seeing as this is a course about the subject), cue points, looping, fx, teach them to be sensible and not overdo it
    4 - Building a "journey" through a dj set.

Thanks for the replies. Turns out these kids will be on the younger side, 13-14ish so I don't think I'll cover anything too complex like audio routing or beatmatching. So far I'm thinking first going through the basic functions like the faders, eqs, looping and cue point then I'll plan out a small routine to show them. Maybe next I'll dive into the structure of how you're supposed to mix(build ups etc). Then a bit on effects and scratching followed by a chance for all of them to mix a couple songs and than ending with a q/a. Hopefully that'll be about an hours worth of teachings.
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Tech Guru

I'd say beatmatching is well within the reach of 13-14 year olds, is certainly a simpler concept than effects and scratching, and is a very useful skill to have.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by johndavid View Post
    One hour is short but with good planning you could cover a lot in a short period of time.

1 - Musical structure ( which I find more important than just right into the rest of the technical stuff)
    2 - technical (beatmatch, eq etc)
    3 - advantages of digital djing (seeing as this is a course about the subject), cue points, looping, fx, teach them to be sensible and not overdo it
    4 - Building a "journey" through a dj set.
    ^^^^ This. An hour will fly by fast. I'd really concentrate just on #1 and 4 the first session. Explain what is meant by #2 but don't even think anyone will get it down in an hour, especially if they don't all have S2s in front of them to play with while learning. #3, introduce the topic, but don't expect to get into explaining much about FX or looping etc. Best you can do is make them leave curious to learn more; don't try to overdo it. If you expect them all to leave with a command of beatmatching, effects, and scratching, they will just leave confused and overwhelmed.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I think music structure should definitely be taught. At least have them count the beats along side with you. Ask them if they hear the change in the phrase. Also use some very popular recognizable songs, that way they can relate. A popular guetta song or something, maybe something they have heard on the radio.

You have to talk about the goal of a digital DJ. There are only a few basic things they have to do. Pick a song and mix the song. How you do that varies, and the techniques vary. But here is the most widely known. I usually explaining beat matching to two cars on a track. How can I get those two cars to line up and drive at the same time. Explain mph = BPM, and the jog wheel is an accelerator.
    Last edited by guiltyblade; 03-12-2013 at 02:25 PM.

1. How a mixer works and what it's used for.
    2. BPMs and what to do about them. (this should also cover music structure and counting measures and beats)
    3. Proper mixing (sync, cue points, nudging the track etc...)
    4. Where to get the music (podcast, live sets, soundcloud, beatport, itunes etc...)

I'd stay away from theory...teach the basics first...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Guru

Surely getting them interested is the main thing? Basic phrase/beat matching and eqing would be the best way to do that, no?
    Get them actually mixing two tracks together with help from yourself and they'll enjoy it miles more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast