How do you personally create a "musical journey"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do you personally create a "musical journey"

Title says it, I want to hear how others do it. I want to incorporate as much knowledge as I can into a set and being either re assured or hearing others is a great way to learn and accomplish that!
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Christ - where to start! I always pick a song that I want to start with (usually something low in energy, but still funky). Sometimes I'll also pick a tune I want to end with.

Then I just fill in the gap in the middle! Every time you pick the next track, you do so with the next couple of tracks in mind. Each track will give you options for the next mix out - and the route you take can change drastically based on which track you choose.

Years ago, we used to do this by always having 3 or 4 tracks in mind for the next mix. Take a look at old DJ pictures - we used to have 3 or 4 12"s stood up on the record box/bag/crate to choose from. It was easier with the physical records to look at! Now, you have to do it all in your mind, and the problem with that is, without a visual indicator, you forget about the tracks that you WERE considering!

There's probably a way around this using playlists/crates, etc... but I'm not up on Traktor so I hope someone else can shed some light?

Tech Mentor

Start with a song. And then, at that moment, try to think of something that goes really well with it. And keep that thought going. I guess, in its most basic form, is what you would call; A Musical Journey

Before you can set off on a musical journey you must find a white winged Unicorn. Preferably with a horn tuned to E#. Then you may gather an elf choir, usually found near the pot of gold. Only then will the electric rainbow become visible and the musical journey can begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Ill View Post
    Christ - where to start! I always pick a song that I want to start with (usually something low in energy, but still funky). Sometimes I'll also pick a tune I want to end with.

Then I just fill in the gap in the middle! Every time you pick the next track, you do so with the next couple of tracks in mind. Each track will give you options for the next mix out - and the route you take can change drastically based on which track you choose.
    This... but I never seem to end up where I had planned to, as its something which ends up becoming really personal for me and something that I love doing!

Enjoy!
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Before you can set off on a musical journey you must find a white winged Unicorn. Preferably with a horn tuned to E#. Then you may gather an elf choir, usually found near the pot of gold. Only then will the electric rainbow become visible and the musical journey can begin.
    Sounds like rainbow flipping while watching the chronicles of narnia.
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,

Quote Originally Posted by ThinAir
    This... but I never seem to end up where I had planned to, as its something which ends up becoming really personal for me and something that I love doing!
    It's kinda like algebra, or some other weird-ass equation. You have values for A (the track you are playing) and you know the value of the track that you want to end up at (Z). You just have to choose what letters (tunes) you are going to use (like stepping stones) to get you from one to the other!

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Yes even yours @loverocket lol!

Tech Mentor

It's different every time. That's why it's a journey!

If i'm playing for a few hours, I like rise through the bpms till I can halve them and bring it back up again. That way I get a chance to play most of my favorite songs and dip through other genres. Get some flava up in them shits.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast