Vocal Microphone Recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Vocal Microphone Recommendations

Hey guys any recommendations for a good versatile vocal mic.... I'm the poor variety of artist so am on the lookout for best quality for cheapest price kinda deal. My uses for it ;

- talking/doing shout outs on my radio show from home
    - talking/crowd warming at gigs
    - vocal recording for production work
    - occasional recording of live instrumentation etc. for production work

cheers

hey

thats a pretty wide range of uses, be very hard to find something that will fit the bill and be cheap i'm afraid.

Obviously it has to be hand held for your gig work, you could get away with something really cheap if it was just for this alone, but you also want highest quality for the radio stuff and even higher quality for your production work.

If you could stretch to it, my ideal suggestion would be to get 2 mic's, firstly a relatively cheap dynamic mic for your live DJ work, one that it doesn't matter if it gets knocked around a bit. Just go to your local radio shack or whatever and see what they have. Avoid anything plastic make sure it at least has a metal body, but dont have to spend loads it'll only be going over the PA. If you really want to get something that'll last what your aiming for is a Sure SM-58. Its the workhorse of the live music industry and has been for the last 40+ years because it sounds great for live work and is hard as nails can take a good beating and still keep going.

The second mic would be a condenser microphone and is really a worthwhile investment for recording because the condenser technology that it uses to pick up the sound means it picks up high frequencies far better and it has a much more detailed sound, and this would also suit your indoor work for the radio and give you good quality. Does mean that its usually a little more fragile but so not really for road use.

Don't have to drop a bomb on it cash wise either, i've had good results even with something like the Samson C01 which I own in my collection (you can also get a USB version if you dont have phantom power on your recording device), and the company SE also has a great reputation for sound quality on a budget so I assume that the SE2000 would be a good choice also, and it seems to be on sale here in the UK if you search about you may be able to get a good deal on it in your area.

If you really had to combine it all into one then technology has improved to the point where companies like Sennheiser and AKG do make mics that combine the best of both worlds, the hand held form factor and hard wearingness of a dynamic mic but with condenser internals and the increase in sound quality, but they will be a bit more expensive.

k

can't go wrong with the standard.

Shure SM58

Tech Guru

^yes i was considering the Shures, i know many people who own that unit and they're great. Definitely thinking about that one.

thanks for the awesome breakdown Kevin, just the answer i was looking for. Now ihave a few more options to consider and will have a bit of information to go by so I don't look like too much of a newb at the music shop ;P

Until you can accurately describe why the Shure SM58 is not the mic you want, it's the mic you want.

If you're trying them out in a shop you should compare it to the phantom-powered condenser version, the Shure SM86, but until you can describe what a condenser is and why you'd want one, you don't need one.

Once you get into microphones, preamps and studio setups then they world is your oyster and you can start saving your pennies for a couple of monster condenser studio mics with different characters, something highly directional in stereo for field work, a balanced set for micing drumkits, an omnidirectional overhead, some stands, a couple of popshields, etc.

But start with the SM58, because you'll always want one.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 08-24-2009 at 07:55 PM.

It all deepends what kind of vocals you are going to be making.

the Human Beatbox has excellent microphone comparisons. Might be worth googling it.
    (If you can't find it, let me know)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I got a new Shure SM58 for sale. Hit me up!
    1st Setup (Main rig)Dell Studio XPS 1640 2nd Setup (Hotel & Living Room Parties, Kick backs etc.)MSI Wind U110 Intel Atom 1.6ghz Dual Boot Mac OSX 10.6 and Widows XP SP3 Accessories Native Instruments NI Audio 8 Traktor 3.2.2 Vestax VCI-100 v1.3http://www.myspace.com/syphic

Shure to be sure !!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by corporation View Post
    can't go wrong with the standard.

Shure SM58
    +1

But don't expect huge sound reproduction quality for recording with this one!

but it's indeed a very good deal!

Jack Bastard

Shure for live stuff, Rode NTA1 for studio stuff.

The Rode is a gorgeous quality mic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast