Calling creative minds, builders and DIYers
    Tech Mentor

Default Calling creative minds, builders and DIYers

Hello all,

Recently I just moved across country Seattle to DC, and the moment i got here setup my performance gear so I could keep my chops up (i practice an hour a day or more) But now that ive gotten my daughters and wife back into a daily routine and settled, I am about to start unpacking and resetting up my Studio.

Back in Seattle, I used a concoction of two desks from Office Max to form a U around me and setup my gear that way. Over the years my setup changed (Whos doesnt we are crazy people). After years of trying equipment finding what works for me and what doesnt. I have a decent setup where I feel I dont need to be touching the mouse and keyboard every 30 seconds.

The issue here, is I am going to be building my own Studio Desk, the prototype coming from a DIY building plan you can find on the net here. I will need to modify it heavily, or just build my own design.

My design problem comes from, how to place all my equipment so its within reach and in a comfortable position to work with at all times.

So I was hoping others had suggestions maybe some examples of how they tackled their issues and I can see where to go from there.

What I am trying to fit on my desk:

(3) Avid Artist Controll Surfaces (50 wide x 9.5 Deep total dimension)
    Ableton Push
    Maschine MK2
    4U Rack Prophet 08
    4U Rack Access Ti2
    2U RME Fireface UCX
    (2) 26" ASUS Widescreen Monitors
    Yamaha HS80 Monitors

StudioLogic (Possibly, I still cant find just a damn basic 61 weighted key controller, dont need sliders, knobs buttons.. blah)

Clearly I will be at least modifying the desk to have a Slide Tray to hold the StudioLogic 61 key. Monitors, and Studio Monitors on the riser of course. From there, I was debating rack space under the riser, but it feels like that would either put the Synth racks, or the Avid Control surfaces a little to far from reach. I dunno.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

PS, If anyone happens to know a nice.. semi weighted 61 key MIDI Controller, very basic but with a nice keybed... PLease please recommend it... even if its discontinued and I have to find it on Craigslist.
    Last edited by tekki; 03-13-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Tech Wizard

Have you tried the Show Your Setup forum. It is comprised entirely of ways to setup almost any combination of gear you can think of and various different off the shelf and self build desk and table ideas.

That desk does look nice though I much prefer it to the Ikea one that seems to be the most common solution.
    Last edited by willisnz; 03-13-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    TSP2.6.5 | Kontrol Z2 | Technics 1210M3D x2 | TMA-1 | Wharfedale 8.1 ProActive x2 | MacBookPro 8,1 (OSX 10.9 2.0GHz, i7, 8GB/1TB Hybrid)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by willisnz View Post
    Have you tried the Show Your Setup forum. It is comprised entirely of ways to setup almost any combination of gear you can think of and various different off the shelf and self build desk and table ideas.

That desk does look nice though I much prefer it to the Ikea one that seems to be the most common solution.
    Yeah Willis, but most of those pictures are of peoples DJing setups with an abundance of unused CDJs and Technics all over the place.

This is for production only. Ive seen a few pics on gearslutz I like, but it still isnt the most ideal setup to reach all of the hardware in a comfortable manner. Google Images has been failing me!
    Last edited by balakoth; 03-13-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Tech Mentor

Yeah the desk is super nice, I helped a friend build one... Paint, Wood and other Materials it came out to 78 dollars to build and took two days (Paint assembly etc)

Tech Wizard

There are some good ideas on djforum & on the Native Instruments forum but again they are a mix of dj & production setups so you may have to wade through a bit of stuff. But again there are a lot of setups with more gear that could ever realistically be used.

Did you build that desk in the pic or another one?
    TSP2.6.5 | Kontrol Z2 | Technics 1210M3D x2 | TMA-1 | Wharfedale 8.1 ProActive x2 | MacBookPro 8,1 (OSX 10.9 2.0GHz, i7, 8GB/1TB Hybrid)

Tech Mentor

There are some good ideas on djforum & on the Native Instruments forum but again they are a mix of dj & production setups so you may have to wade through a bit of stuff. But again there are a lot of setups with more gear that could ever realistically be used.

Did you build that desk in the pic or another one?
    Thats a picture from the build plans. Same one I built with my friend though.

I can come up with layout ideas all day long.. I was hoping for more of a verbal communication of it.. Ive seen some on NI site too, but like you said full of equipment that may never be used.. and if it is.. its not in a very logical position for long hours.

My biggest issue right now is.. ARm Reach.. im only 5'7 dont have long arms.. so putting the Maschine and Push at an Tilt behind the Avid ARtist controllers would work for a setup, but at 30 inches deep Im still reaching a bit and those two will probably be the most often used pieces along with the two Rack Modules (also would be around 30 inches away)

Maybe im being to nitpicky... but When I have something setup the way I like.. it looks and feels clean, comfortable and easy to access.. the ideas just flow out better and the work is more enjoyable