Is everyone's controller easy to choke?
    Tech Wizard

Default Is everyone's controller easy to choke?

So there I was, practicing scratching with the jogwheels and i found a cool combination of scratching while tweaking multiple effects. I was looping deck A with scratching while deck B played a full track. I had gater set to 16th notes, reverb on about 60% and using formant filter to get that "wah-whoa-woo-wheeooowooowwww" style thing happening. makes for a neat combination if done tastefully! (that's the hardest part, right?)

i managed to freeze my controller three times during the ten minute mashup http://www.mixcloud.com/damieng/seek...litude-mashup/ due to sending more than one midi message from the controller. it seems to be too easy to overwhelm my usb bus by sending multiple messages at the same time. but i want to be able to scratch and use a filter sweep and do something else (i mean, i have ten fingers!).

does anyone have any insight into this?

Tosh satellite 4GB ram, two hard drives, amd turion 64x2 running both asio4all and NI audio2, VCI-100SE arcade mod, TP2.5.1

What FW is your vci100 and what mapping are you using? Also, what version on Traktor are you using? I used to experience my vci100 freezing up (but not Traktor), mine is FW 1.3, I use a self modified mapping of a MAC 1.3 mapping (even though I use Windows, they work both ways) and run latest Traktor. I havent had a frozen VCI in a few years, so I cant remember the last Traktor it was running.

Tech Wizard

hey there, thanks for the reply. i'm using 1.4FW and the 4.1 .tsi file. i'm in traktor 2.5.1.

Tech Wizard

bump, i'm still "breaking" my vci, just successfully choked it twice messing around with the gater and formant filter with reverb on as well. with my students going wild with the jog wheels guarantees a crash as well. anytime there is more than one midi event happening simultaneously it stops working. traktor doesn't crash, but the vci stops sending signals in to make changes. this is getting really frustrating. i can't rely on this should i get to play a set in public anytime soon.

I had a good play around with mine and turned on 3 gated FX and played around heavily with the fader FX and its the fader FX that froze it. Easy just to unplug the USB from the VCI100 and plug it back in again and youre good to go again, all without the music stopping.

1. Dont go so mad.
    2. Sure its not your PC/MAC, not being able to handle it?
    3. Get a new controller if it bothers you that much.

Tech Wizard

thanks for the reply. my laptop took a dive and i am now using a different one. thinkpad T61P with intel core 2 duo cpu and TP 2.6.1 and the 4.1 vci mapping.

intel cpus are so much more stable and handle traktor better than amd! that is probably a big part of it. however, i still managed to freeze my controller once. that's a better track record than the amd laptop. a power off/on again fixed it but i'm sure it'll happen again. i don't know which type of usb ports i have on here (1.1/2.0) and how much of that makes a difference. my guess is more than one midi message being sent at the same time runs the risk of getting out of sequence. but i think i'd hear more reports of this type of thing happening.

this is a used unit that i bought off another forum member and that may have been one of the reasons for selling it (stereothief, any insight? if you still check this forum?) and that's part of the risk of used gear. i do love this unit and want to continue using it (and don't have the budget for something else while in the market for a replacement laptop)

Quote Originally Posted by riddmkidd View Post
    thanks for the reply. my laptop took a dive and i am now using a different one. thinkpad T61P with intel core 2 duo cpu and TP 2.6.1 and the 4.1 vci mapping.

intel cpus are so much more stable and handle traktor better than amd! that is probably a big part of it. however, i still managed to freeze my controller once. that's a better track record than the amd laptop. a power off/on again fixed it but i'm sure it'll happen again. i don't know which type of usb ports i have on here (1.1/2.0) and how much of that makes a difference. my guess is more than one midi message being sent at the same time runs the risk of getting out of sequence. but i think i'd hear more reports of this type of thing happening.

this is a used unit that i bought off another forum member and that may have been one of the reasons for selling it (stereothief, any insight? if you still check this forum?) and that's part of the risk of used gear. i do love this unit and want to continue using it (and don't have the budget for something else while in the market for a replacement laptop)
    For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it's a Traktor limitation. I could freeze pretty much ALL of my controllers on 2.5 if I mapped Dry/Wet and all three knobs/buttons to a jogwheel.

Tech Wizard

update on this, it was definitely the AMD processor on the previous laptop causing the problems. I haven't had a hiccup since using the Intel core2duo laptop.

what is the cause to get confused with as i am not getting it well .. and what the mention regarding the Intel core 2 due processor is worrying me much as mine too is installed with the same processor