Monthly Residency
    Tech Convert

Default Monthly Residency

Hey guys,

Was just looking for some advice from some guys who have been playing out a lot longer than I have. I've been djing/producing now for about 10 months, and in that time have gone from bedroom DJing to playing some small bars/lounges, into some bigger clubs etc. After entering a remix competition and landing in 3rd, I got a lot of e-mails from various clubs, and even had the pleasure of opening for a Downlink show at a really popular dubstep venue here in Toronto.

Recently I've been offered a saturday night to host my own party 10pm-5am, and if all goes well, I've been told this will be a monthly gig on the last saturday of every month. Since I'm about as new as they come in the DJ scene, I was looking for helpful tips from some more experienced guys or residents that can help my night go as smoothly as possible. I really want to impress them and land a gig that I can play regularly.

They've given me the freedom to play whatever music I want and the option to bring in some opening/closing DJs. I'm sure they expect me to bring as big a crowd as I can on my own, though I know this place is already pretty bumpin' on a saturday night.

Having the freedom to play what I want w/ who I want and get to do it once a month seems like a dream gig for me right now and don't wan't to blow it. Has anyone been in this position and have any pointers or advice to make this a great night and impress the promoters and club that is hooking this up?

Thanks for your time guys

Unfortunately you're in a position where your main choice is between playing the music YOU enjoy playing, and the music that usually goes down best with the crowd. This is the moment when most DJs "sell out" and wind up playing a genre they personally can't stand

All I can say is, I wish you the best with whatever you decide to do in the end And the main thing to think about is that at the end of the day, it's a paycheck, so do what's best for the money.

Tech Mentor

Hi mate,

Firstly well done for landing the party, a saturday night is a great gig to land in such a early place in your dj career! Keep relaxed and just enjoy it on the night.

Before it though is the time to plan and stress what kind of night do YOU want. Get some artwork done and get it on the social media pages, PROMO is always key. Get a group of mates to help spread the word and make sure they come on the night (i call my friends the party starters since there there from the get go), you say the place is pretty good and lively on a sat already, so why dont you go in on saturday with some friends (unless your already busy) check it out, see whats working for people and whats not. also if you see the manager you can introduce yourself in person if you already havent, tell him youve come to see the vibe to get some ideas for your own night. this will work in your favour in two ways, 1. he will like that your there and brought some people when your not even djing, and 2. it shows your smart and are already thinking of ideas.

You've mentioned that you might get some djs involved to, Do this. But obviously make sure that they are up to the challange the last thing a busy place needs on a sat is a warm up dj who is terrible, but ask your warm up/ end of the night dj to bring at least 10-15 people with them for the slot. this garuntees a few extra people in and will also calm that particular djs nerves, its always having a freindly face in the crowd.

have you thought of getting a headline act in? i dont know if they've giving you a budget but you could try a local producer that has a good bit of buzz about them and try and book them. some might not even charge at all if you pitch it correctly... i see your from toronto i know of a really good producer out there called Dustin Nantais - he is a very friendly guy aswell.

Hope this all Helps mate.

let us know how it goes.
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Tech Convert

Thanks for the feedback guys. Fortunately, the venue is already well known for playing the genres I play so I don't think I have to worry too much about "selling out", but of course I'll be playing to the vibe of the crowd always, whatever that may be.

I've been there a number of times, and I'm quite familiar with the promoter, and good friends with a DJ who still plays there time to time. I've invited two buddies out to open/close who are putting the word out to their friends/followers so they can get as many people as possible out to the event. They've been involved in the scene longer than I have so I'm not too worried about their skills on the decks or the crowds they can bring.

We have the promoter getting a flyer for the event in the works and between ourselves and the promotion company, pretty good coverage on the social media front.

I'll definitely look up Dustin Nantais, it would be cool to get some more local talent out, especially with so much time to play with (10pm to 5am).

I feel like most bases are covered at this point, but I'm used to hopping on the decks as an opener, play my 1-2 hour time slot, get my drink vouchers and enjoy the rest of the night lol. Hosting a party is a whole new animal I haven't dealt with before so I really appreciate the input.
    Last edited by KNTRLFRK; 03-15-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Tech Mentor

You sound like your on the right track already buddy.

Just relax, if your used to playing as the opener think about this.... ever had a few tracks you really want to play which are massive tunes but it was just too early to play them. Well now you dont have that problem smash out the songs you really love. have a good time! the amount of djs i see who play cracking sets but looked soo stressed behind the decks is terrible and it sucks the life out of the party.

if your warm up and end dj are your mates? try getting together and running through a selection of tracks each (i dont mean a playlist) but just so your not playing the same things.

yeh try giving him a shout, im from england but he played in my city a few months back and was a great guy. Hes even sent me a few bootlegs since then... im sure he'll have some tips in the scene out there and might even come and play for you ive linked his beatport below

http://www.beatport.com/#artist/dustin-nantais/269854
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by KNTRLFRK View Post
    Hey guys,

Was just looking for some advice from some guys who have been playing out a lot longer than I have. I've been djing/producing now for about 10 months, and in that time have gone from bedroom DJing to playing some small bars/lounges, into some bigger clubs etc. After entering a remix competition and landing in 3rd, I got a lot of e-mails from various clubs, and even had the pleasure of opening for a Downlink show at a really popular dubstep venue here in Toronto.

Recently I've been offered a saturday night to host my own party 10pm-5am, and if all goes well, I've been told this will be a monthly gig on the last saturday of every month. Since I'm about as new as they come in the DJ scene, I was looking for helpful tips from some more experienced guys or residents that can help my night go as smoothly as possible. I really want to impress them and land a gig that I can play regularly.

They've given me the freedom to play whatever music I want and the option to bring in some opening/closing DJs. I'm sure they expect me to bring as big a crowd as I can on my own, though I know this place is already pretty bumpin' on a saturday night.

Having the freedom to play what I want w/ who I want and get to do it once a month seems like a dream gig for me right now and don't wan't to blow it. Has anyone been in this position and have any pointers or advice to make this a great night and impress the promoters and club that is hooking this up?

Thanks for your time guys

Hey congratualtions man! sounds like you got yourself on track already... just dealing a bit with pre show nerves! What club are u gonna spin at in toronto? I'm from toronto...I actually live downtown about 15 minutes from the clubbing district

Congrats on securing your own club night!

I think a lot of the guys have covered the important parts. I can't stress enough to get your buddies involved in helping promote the event and managing some of it during the night. The vibe your friends are giving off will get everyone else to notice including the promoters that booked you.

Make sure to bring the noise! You got one shot to impress and you're going to do great!

We're currently residents at Avalon Hollywood, Exchange LA, The Yost Theater, and Sutra OC.....and we did it just like you with our own club nights! Great way to get bigger (FAST) but also risky as in a bad night can hurt your reputation in your area for a bit.

Practice practice practice until then and break a leg!