CDJ900/CDJ2000 Advanced HID Glitches/Questions
    Tech Wizard

Default CDJ900/CDJ2000 Advanced HID Glitches/Questions

I have a few questions about the CDJ900/CDJ2000 and the Advanced HID function, for those who have regular access to this kind of gear.

I've played regularly on the S4 for the past two years now, and I love the workflow, but I'm beginning to have my doubts about keeping it as my main setup. The unit is good, but the build quality is atrocious. I've gone through two S4s so far, and my current unit was defective out of the box, but playable. I had it repaired a few months back, but now, it's giving trouble again. I'll talk more about that in another thread. I'm considering switching to a modular setup of a DJM900 + (3-4) MIDI Fighters or CDJ900/2000s when the club has them available.

The other night I got a chance to play using a HID setup of two CDJ900s, and a DJM900. My computer only has 2 USB ports so I had to use a USB hub to connect everything. I figured the DJM900, as the soundcard, was the most important piece of the setup, so I gave it a dedicated USB port on my machine and it worked great. Then, I connected each of the CDJs to a hub connected to my other USB port. I followed the instructions, plugged the CDJs in and selected the decks, and all worked well initially, but then I noticed a few glitches.

First off, I moved the platter on the CDJ for deck A, and noticed a corresponding movement on the HI EQ knob for that deck on my screen. That didn't go away.

Second, when I pushed the load button on the CDJ for deck B, it stopped deck A, a potentially disastrous club situation. That didn't go away either, so I avoided that for the entirety of my set.

My question is, why did this happen? Was it because I plugged both CDJs into one USB port? Is it possible for the MIDI signals get mixed up somehow? I've also heard that the HID works better on the CDJ-2000s. Should I avoid using it on the 900?

Before I start playing out with this setup, I want to be sure that everything will work correctly. The problem is, I don't have enough hands-on time with this gear to be able to troubleshoot, so I'm hoping someone more experienced with this setup can help me here.
    Last edited by agrelius; 03-16-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    Software: Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Ableton Live 9, Presonus Studio One 2
    Hardware: Traktor S4, Maschine, 2x Yorkville YSM5, Scarlett 2i2, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, Beyerdynamic DT990-250, MBP 13"
    soundcloud.com/agrelius

Tech Guru

Very odd behavior. I've only used HID with my 2000s and it's been great so far.
    What version of Traktor are you on? And do you know what firmware version the CDJs are on?
    Do you have 2 distinct mappings in Controller Manager assigned to different decks and In-Ports?

You could try connecting just the CDJs and using them aggregated as the sound card instead of the DJM, that way you'd cut out the hub in case it's causing problems.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

My first port of call here would be to check the "In Port" and "Out Port" of the various MIDI controllers in Traktor's Preferences. It sounds like Traktor is getting a MIDI message that is set for two different commands (such as the platter and EQ) which are meant for two different controllers.

As for the hub, I use 2 CDJ2000 Nexus and a MIDI enabled mixer with about 3 other controllers at the same time through a powered hub and it all works fine!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Very odd behavior. I've only used HID with my 2000s and it's been great so far.
    What version of Traktor are you on? And do you know what firmware version the CDJs are on?
    Do you have 2 distinct mappings in Controller Manager assigned to different decks and In-Ports?

You could try connecting just the CDJs and using them aggregated as the sound card instead of the DJM, that way you'd cut out the hub in case it's causing problems.
    I'm using Traktor 2.6.1. I checked the list of controllers afterwards, and the only other one listed was the default S4 mapping, which I assume wouldn't interfere, as it uses NHL. I'm not sure what version of firmware the CDJs had. I just tried to download and install the CDJ Aggregator tool on my comp from the Pioneer Site. It won't install, saying " You can't open the application "CDJ Aggregator " because it may be Damaged or Incomplete"
    Software: Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Ableton Live 9, Presonus Studio One 2
    Hardware: Traktor S4, Maschine, 2x Yorkville YSM5, Scarlett 2i2, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, Beyerdynamic DT990-250, MBP 13"
    soundcloud.com/agrelius

I use 2000s in HID and as sound cards (through the aggregator) sometimes. Works flawlessly.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by agrelius View Post
    I'm using Traktor 2.6.1. I checked the list of controllers afterwards, and the only other one listed was the default S4 mapping, which I assume wouldn't interfere, as it uses NHL. I'm not sure what version of firmware the CDJs had. I just tried to download and install the CDJ Aggregator tool on my comp from the Pioneer Site. It won't install, saying " You can't open the application "CDJ Aggregator " because it may be Damaged or Incomplete"
    What about the Deck Assign and the In-port for each CDJ in the Controller Manager? And are both players set to "Advanced HID"?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Lineypirate View Post
    My first port of call here would be to check the "In Port" and "Out Port" of the various MIDI controllers in Traktor's Preferences. It sounds like Traktor is getting a MIDI message that is set for two different commands (such as the platter and EQ) which are meant for two different controllers.
    Kinda what I was thinking. Sounds like a dual-mapping sort of situation...