How do you keep the energy high in between the 2 "drops" ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I had the same issue for quite a while honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    It's quite simple tbh, stop doing A-->B-->A mixing.

When I DJ, it's A-->A+B-->B-->B+A-->A.
    This pretty much solved it. Also when employing this technique, it works way better if you are mixing in key. It all sounds so smooth especially if done right. It fits together extremely well.

Ive found a bar of beats on loop, but ever filtered just so you can hear the dull thump over a long breakdown can keep the vibe if you dont want to change the tune, then cut that loop around with some beatmasher as you see fit.

Or try double dropping two breakdowns at once, or as said by others, intro of one track into the breakdown of another. Maybe with a couple of slice's of yet another tune here and there, so they dont know which of the 3 tracks your're going to break into.

But avoid too much, as it could sound a bit messy and make sure its in key!
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    I had the same issue for quite a while honestly.

This pretty much solved it. Also when employing this technique, it works way better if you are mixing in key. It all sounds so smooth especially if done right. It fits together extremely well.
    Agreed. 2.6.1's sort by key function is a GODSEND.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Agreed. 2.6.1's sort by key function is a GODSEND.
    Haha, I can imagine! I use CDJ's, so there's already a sort by "Key" function.

Tech Guru

How do you deal with the terrible accuracy of the key analysis? It's so tedious having to go through a track and figure out which key it really is, and whether it's actually the relative key or one almost the same..
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by lip5016 View Post
    Now the only problem is that I feel that playing this intermediate "instrumental" portion in a Night Club setting (not a rave or festival where it can be expected), lacks energy and volume..
    Don't you if you ever went dancing but unless you take xtc (so I've heard) you'll get tired. It's good that people can catch a breath.
    The contrast in energy in makes the drop better. For example:
    High energy bit => build up + drop => high energy bit doesn't make sense.

Everything is there for a reason. Just keep doing what you 're doing.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    Don't you if you ever went dancing but unless you take xtc (so I've heard) you'll get tired.The contrast in energy in makes the drop better..

+1

I think you will get better results by good song selection and knowing when to drop a certain song to maintain the right energy level or slow it down so you can provide a good build up.

There were some pretty good sets videocasted on Ultra's mainstage there essentially two CDJ mixing, with some clever edits, and of course practiced/timed transitions that could give you a few ideas......but really it was the right song selection at the time of the set that dictated the energy.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I like to do what was previously mentioned. Intro of B after Drop of A... but sometimes I like to let the melody play out with the intro of track B on Loop, (as long as the intro isn't obnoxious and its just a kick and snare).

for example, Daft punk's "one more time" has a HUUUUUGE middle portion where its vocals, and it def kills the vibe sometimes, but if u just add a snare or kick bass to that portion, people will keep grooving. try it out.

i think that u need to have a few breaks here and there. u gotta let people cool down for a good minute or two and bring them back. intro+bass+drop gets real repetitive real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    I like to do what was previously mentioned. Intro of B after Drop of A... but sometimes I like to let the melody play out with the intro of track B on Loop, (as long as the intro isn't obnoxious and its just a kick and snare).

for example, Daft punk's "one more time" has a HUUUUUGE middle portion where its vocals, and it def kills the vibe sometimes, but if u just add a snare or kick bass to that portion, people will keep grooving. try it out.

i think that u need to have a few breaks here and there. u gotta let people cool down for a good minute or two and bring them back. intro+bass+drop gets real repetitive real fast.
    A lot of Tiesto and Mauro Picotto stuff is like that too; Proximus and Komodo are typical case-in-points. The annoying thing is, the tempo typically changes wildly as well (I HATE artists who do that), so you have to ride the jogwheels/pitchfader the whole way through the instrumental :-\

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    Don't you if you ever went dancing but unless you take xtc (so I've heard) you'll get tired. It's good that people can catch a breath.
    The contrast in energy in makes the drop better. For example:
    High energy bit => build up + drop => high energy bit doesn't make sense.

So I've heard? lol completely agree!
    A combo of a> a+b > b > b+a > a with one shots and fx and transitioned at the right time to avoid an audio disaster sounds great! Then get track c going (in deck b) and mix track c and d the same way, it flows great and you won't be constantly cluttering sounds.
    Last edited by samplectro; 03-18-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast