How do you keep the energy high in between the 2 "drops" ?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    83

    Default How do you keep the energy high in between the 2 "drops" ?

    Hey everybody, so this is a topic that I've been looking to get a few different people's opinions on.. Basically every EDM song essentially has 2 "Drops", usually separated by a more melodic, quieter, less intense instrumental or something of the sort..

    When I'm recording my mixes, I think that this middle "instrumental" portion is really nice because it takes you on a journey, and then back towards the buildup and the 2nd "drop".

    Now the only problem is that I feel that playing this intermediate "instrumental" portion in a Night Club setting (not a rave or festival where it can be expected), lacks energy and volume..

    I don't want the entire dance floor to stop for 45 seconds between drops since this middle "instrumental" or vocal portion gets too quiet or slow (with the kick drum typically removed)..

    Do any of you have any techniques that can be used to keep the energy HIGH between the 2 drops in a Night Club setting, where the energy has to always be at a level where the people on the dance floor are continuously moving?

  2. #2
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Not playing 'EDM' would certainly help.

    But on a more serious side, maybe add some effects or samples during the drop to keep the crowd enticed.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

    Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

  3. #3
    Tech Guru Era 7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Inside your speaker
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    Not playing 'EDM' would certainly help.


    don't play music that is entire centered around "drops" or don't let the track play out.
    Last edited by Era 7; 03-18-2013 at 11:11 AM.

  4. #4
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Era 7 View Post
    don't play music that is centered around "drops" or don't let the track play out.
    I don't really understand this statement.. I play pretty much exclusively 128BPM EDM music, which is pretty much always structured:

    Intro > Buildup > Drop #1 > Instrumental/Vocals > Buildup > Drop #2 > Outro

  5. #5

    Default

    It's quite simple tbh, stop doing A-->B-->A mixing.

    When I DJ, it's A-->A+B-->B-->B+A-->A.

  6. #6
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lip5016 View Post
    I don't really understand this statement.. I play pretty much exclusively 128BPM EDM music, which is pretty much always structured:

    Intro > Buildup > Drop #1 > Instrumental/Vocals > Buildup > Drop #2 > Outro
    Era7 is basically saying, choose the odd track where there are no drops, or instrumentals. However, this type of music, 'EDM, as you call it, always have a minute cheesy drop in my opinion so would be quite hard to find some track that don't have this.

    Maybe hit some samples of vocals/samples that people may recognise, to keep them enticed and thinking 'wow, I know this'. Or as Era7 says, mix out of the track before the 2nd drop.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

    Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    It's quite simple tbh, stop doing A-->B-->A mixing.

    When I DJ, it's A-->A+B-->B-->B+A-->A.
    Could you explain a bit further? My brain can't quite decipher it.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    It's quite simple tbh, stop doing A-->B-->A mixing.

    When I DJ, it's A-->A+B-->B-->B+A-->A.
    The easiest way to do this, btw, is to bring in the intro of track B (for club mixes, typically a very basic 4/4 beat) at the start of the instrumental section... if you time it right by using loops and cuepoints etc, by the time the second drop has petered out to the outro, track B gets going. You then mix out track A, load up a new track, and repeat the process.

  9. #9
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    The easiest way to do this, btw, is to bring in the intro of track B (for club mixes, typically a very basic 4/4 beat) at the start of the instrumental section... if you time it right by using loops and cuepoints etc, by the time the second drop has petered out to the outro, track B gets going. You then mix out track A, load up a new track, and repeat the process.
    oo I see what you're saying, so basically the Intro for Track B will provide the Kick drum beat that the "Instrumental" portion of Track A is lacking?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lip5016 View Post
    oo I see what you're saying, so basically the Intro for Track B will provide the Kick drum beat that the "Instrumental" portion of Track A is lacking?
    Exactly If your choose your songs right, you can even get a nice combination of the bassline for track B with the pads and synth of track A, etc. That's basically what most Trance/Progressive House DJs do, creating mashups and remixes on the fly.

    It's also why Traktor's remix decks are so awesome tbh, because you can create your own stems (or even re-create famous ones) to get REALLY creative.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •