How do you keep the energy high in between the 2 "drops" ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

WIth the technology available today just have another track playing on another deck, even something as simple as the mids and high of a good rhythm and kickl that in during the bridge, just even a bit of hi-hat can boost the level a lot. and you can leave it in when the second drop comes in. If you match their keys you can even bring in some riffs etc from the second track. Plus a few simple build effects , even basic reverb will make that second drop even bigger.

Assuming your a traktor or serato user, dont be a luddite and turn on sync it will make all this stuff childs play and you can concentrate on the music and the energy. You can show off your beatmatching skills going from A-B

Tech Wizard

You could always build your own builds. I've made a few 'dummy songs' as I call them, and they just have 16/32 bar drum loops and builds that I use to transition through those melodic parts. You can add things like those vengeance pack risers to help rebuild that energy towards another drop.

Acapellas are another good way to fill the space, especially if its something popular that people can recognize.

Just watch laidback luke mix. His sets are incredibly dynamic with very little lag in them. Or listen to Carl Cox. Carl Cox keeps energy up for an entire set like you wouldn't believe. Yeah, if you play a lot of prog house you are going to have a lot of synthy breaks, maybe try mixing some regular house music into your sets? Also, You can have synth/no drums parts without losing energy, trust me. Learn to use loops, create tension, don't just "let the synth" play necessarily, but don't over use fx. Honestly if you play house music in a setting where people enjoy house music they will find a way to enjoy every part of the song and not just the "drop." Also remember that you need to give your crowd a rest (as DJ MetalGear said). You actually CANT mix festival style at a club because it's too much to dance for more than an hour straight even if you're faced out on Molly. If I had to dance to Madeon for more than an hour I'd pass out.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    It's quite simple tbh, stop doing A-->B-->A mixing.

When I DJ, it's A-->A+B-->B-->B+A-->A.
    I don't see the difference. This is what A>B mixing is anyways...or rather: that is why it's called "mixing" in the first place.
    Last edited by 3heads; 03-18-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    I don't see the difference. This is what A>B mixing is anyways...
    The difference is there isn't 5 minutes with only one track playing; instead, there's maybe 15-20 seconds with one track playing.

play tracks together for more than 20 seconds: challenge accepted.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

I was trying to resist, but having read this thread, there's some strange posts in here.

Firstly, in all my years, I've never heard of a 'different' type of music applicable to a club/rave/festival and since when has dance music been described as steady 128bpm - as if its a type of music in it's own right? I also don't understand this suggestion that there is fixed defined structure of a track, sure there are similarties but mostly there is variation.

I've seen so many posts on here and other forums, people over analyse too much, just get on and mix, practice, learn for yourself. Don't over think, just do.

Oh and the 'luddite' comment about using sync, I appreciate what you're saying but do you think it was not possible to create this elusive 'energy' everyone refers to pre digital DJing? As someone mentioned; Coxy is a case in point, a magician on 3x TT's. I guess the amazing nights in the 90's and early 00's just didn't happen like they do now(?)
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by backtothefront View Post
    I was trying to resist, but having read this thread, there's some strange posts in here.

Firstly, in all my years, I've never heard of a 'different' type of music applicable to a club/rave/festival and since when has dance music been described as steady 128bpm - as if its a type of music in it's own right? I also don't understand this suggestion that there is fixed defined structure of a track, sure there are similarties but mostly there is variation.

I've seen so many posts on here and other forums, people over analyse too much, just get on and mix, practice, learn for yourself. Don't over think, just do.

Oh and the 'luddite' comment about using sync, I appreciate what you're saying but do you think it was not possible to create this elusive 'energy' everyone refers to pre digital DJing? As someone mentioned; Coxy is a case in point, a magician on 3x TT's. I guess the amazing nights in the 90's and early 00's just didn't happen like they do now(?)
    Thanks God someone said this. Going to a club and hearing a DJ change tracks every 15-20 seconds makes me want to punch myself in the ears!! If your music is so boring you can only listen to 15 seconds of it go out and buy some better music!!

Being less generic when describing your genre of choice would help too! WTF is EDM?! I imagine the OP is referring to that God-Awful Electro-trashy-progressive -house that seems to be popular in the USA. In which case I would agree that 15 seconds is more than anyone can take!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Thanks God someone said this. Going to a club and hearing a DJ change tracks every 15-20 seconds makes me want to punch myself in the ears!! If your music is so boring you can only listen to 15 seconds of it go out and buy some better music!!

Being less generic when describing your genre of choice would help too! WTF is EDM?! I imagine the OP is referring to that God-Awful Electro-trashy-progressive -house that seems to be popular in the USA. In which case I would agree that 15 seconds is more than anyone can take!!
    uh huh

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post

HAH! This x100000 When did it go from being all about the music to all about the DJ masturbating his controller/mixer/fx unit until all you hear is an amorphous mass of noise. Thank fuck there are still some decent DJ's out there who actually know how to DJ and let the tracks breathe.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast