Traktor s4 RCA / Quarter inch --> 3.5mm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Traktor s4 RCA / Quarter inch --> 3.5mm

hey guys,

I have traktor s4 but I am curious for other controllers too. I will be playing this weekend at a party and have zero idea the type of speakers I am given. I have my RCA cables for if they have a mixer or a amp. But if they have computer style speakers with 3.5mm jack - can I just buy a RCA-to-3.5mm adapter? Will it work? I don't understand the balanced and unbalanced outputs - is that something I need to worry about.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vpech013 View Post
    hey guys,

I have traktor s4 but I am curious for other controllers too. I will be playing this weekend at a party and have zero idea the type of speakers I am given. I have my RCA cables for if they have a mixer or a amp. But if they have computer style speakers with 3.5mm jack - can I just buy a RCA-to-3.5mm adapter? Will it work? I don't understand the balanced and unbalanced outputs - is that something I need to worry about.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    You'll probably need a stereo RCA to female 3.5 jack adapter; can get 'em off eBay for a couple of quid. You want to take the output from the unbalanced RCAs.

"playing a party" if a lot of people will be there, i cant imagine just some desktop speakers will do it for the room.
    Sounds a bit strange but i have seen some really strange things. Not knocking it. But i hope it works out for ya mate

Tech Mentor

so its the RCA cables that are unbalanced eh? Still goes into the same RCA plugs on the controller?

Tech Guru

If you're connecting to a 3.5mm socket then yes, you should use the RCA outputs.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    "playing a party" if a lot of people will be there, i cant imagine just some desktop speakers will do it for the room.
    Sounds a bit strange but i have seen some really strange things. Not knocking it. But i hope it works out for ya mate
    I have seen some ghetto-ass rigs at college parties that manage to fill the block. Never doubt the power of a 3.5mm jack. When you tell homeowners to "get the biggest sound they can" they will bring you some serious Macgyver shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    I have seen some ghetto-ass rigs at college parties that manage to fill the block. Never doubt the power of a 3.5mm jack. When you tell homeowners to "get the biggest sound they can" they will bring you some serious Macgyver shit.
    This is true.

I was once photographing at a 22nd birthday party where the DJs were using the TV's shitty surround sound system, and were still surprisingly killing it with about 150 people in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    This is true.

I was once photographing at a 22nd birthday party where the DJs were using the TV's shitty surround sound system, and were still surprisingly killing it with about 150 people in the house.
    Surround sound system + 2.1 computer system + random monitor + my powered 15" + an aging hifi sub powered by a dented "bridged" stereo receiver. We had to use an external podcast mixer just to get everything patched. Still my record for "party" setups. With most of that being added as we went along setting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Surround sound system + 2.1 computer system + random monitor + my powered 15" + an aging hifi sub powered by a dented "bridged" stereo receiver. We had to use an external podcast mixer just to get everything patched. Still my record for "party" setups. With most of that being added as we went along setting up.
    Lmao.

Tbh, the pair of Mordaunt Short MS5.30s I have hooked up to my PC/TV would probably kill most active PA speakers in gigging for a couple of hundred people in a small venue. Only cost me a fiver from a charity shop as well... bargain of a lifetime

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast