Hardwell DJ set at Ultra! or was he actually DJ'ing. - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

What Hardwell (and any other "DJ" who does this *cough* Guetta *cough*) is doing is essentially taking jobs away from those of us that actually BOTHER to mix.
    if you can fill a 20k or 30k arena due to your populartity, he's taking a job away from you, if not, he isn't

Yawn!
    • Kids have been going to see pre-recorded Pop stars since the 60's.
    • DJ's are now Pop Stars
    • Artists who do not fake it have always ranted about other artists faking it
    • General Public Do not care and just want to see the artist "there"

[/end]

Yes, I know we're not famous, but people should be booked based on their ability not on their name alone.
    If that was the case the presidents, prime misters, bank CEO's etc ...etc ..................rant rant rant

If the show looked good from Front of House to the people who paid, who cares really ?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    The thing is, the big bookings come off the back of producing, most of the time anyway. If people like their tracks they want to see them, if a track gets big then promoters take notice and know people pay to do so.
    So yeah, you might get residencies and the like from ability but big bookings, maybe not. It makes sense from the promoter's view when you think about it.
    Hit it on the spot. The difference between them and us is that they are producing lots of tracks whereas most of us are just DJing which (let's be honest) the average person doesn't care for.

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    The thing is, the big bookings come off the back of producing, most of the time anyway. If people like their tracks they want to see them, if a track gets big then promoters take notice and know people pay to do so.
    So yeah, you might get residencies and the like from ability but big bookings, maybe not. It makes sense from the promoter's view when you think about it.
    So learn how to perform your productions live... there's nothing to stop someone like Hardwell setting up a Maschine or Ableton controller on stage and performing his latest track LIVE. If the audience actually knew that he basically stuck a CD in and hit play, they'd be furious.

And as for whether or not they'd be entitled to a refund, I suppose that depends on how the performance was advertised... if it was referred to as a "live performance" or "performing live" or anything similar by the promoters, then - at least in the UK, and probably the US - there'd be grounds under Trading Standards laws to demand a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    [*]Kids have been going to see pre-recorded Pop stars since the 60's.
    [*]Kids have been getting duped by assholes since the 60s.

There, fixed that for you.

[*]Kids have been getting duped by assholes since the 60s.
    Assholes that have been quite happy Making Their Millions, along with their respective Labels, Management, Venues, Countless numbers of people they employ. And their Fans rarely complain.

So most everyone is pretty happy with the concept of an artist playing a faultless pre-recorded set/tracks except other Musicians and Dj's.

If the audience actually knew that he basically stuck a CD in and hit play, they'd be furious.
    I think you give the majority of the public too much credit.

Most people go to an event, well....just to be at the event (with the exception of some exceptional Dance music / rock or vocal artists).

Just to emphasize the point - I'll quote another thread here...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel View Post
    LOL. Those guys were completely caught fake DJ'ing here in Boston. Take a look at this little nugget and see if you can figure out what is wrong:

I don't see the crowd rioting even though its obvious they aren't playing live do you ?
    Last edited by deevey; 03-23-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    So learn how to perform your productions live... there's nothing to stop someone like Hardwell setting up a Maschine or Ableton controller on stage and performing his latest track LIVE. If the audience actually knew that he basically stuck a CD in and hit play, they'd be furious.

I'm not sticking up for them, just saying that it doesn't work like that. They make most of their money from the gigs they get off the back of their producing, rather than the producing itself.

I don't get out as much as I used to, but if I do go out and see a band, DJ or comedian, I expect them to perform their work as live as technically possible.

Not doing so is just being downrihght rude to the punters.

I am the general public and I do care.

The more it becomes the acccepted norm to pretend to be doing what you are being paid to do, the more worthless the people who do it are making their art.

Yes thair have been mimics and such before, but it doesn't make it right, the fact the odd screw up gets through just makes the whole thing tangible.

Quote Originally Posted by sumthinjumpin View Post
    i don't get out as much as i used to, but if i do go out and see a band, dj or comedian, i expect them to perform their work as live as technically possible.

Not doing so is just being downrihght rude to the punters.

I am the general public and i do care.

the more it becomes the acccepted norm to pretend to be doing what you are being paid to do, the more worthless the people who do it are making their art.

Yes thair have been mimics and such before, but it doesn't make it right, the fact the odd screw up gets through just makes the whole thing tangible.
    amen

Unless they are dead, its a live show

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    Oh wait you're a promotor with millions invested in this festival. Let's take the risk a DJ (deliberately or not) messes up his set. That's what everyone's waiting for indeed.

If you're playing for such a large crowd there is no room for error. It's not like you're in a normal club where people don't care for an error or two (and every DJ makes errors now and then). If that means that he has to make a prerecorded one hour set then so be it. Don't forget, lots of artists playback as well. Most people don't care, they are just happy as long as the artist is there. Nothing different from this.
    This is the dumbest thing I've read in a while.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    This is the dumbest thing I've read in a while.
    How was this the dumbest thing you've read in a while? I respect your opinion as I'm fairly new here and you're not, but still. Think about it from the investors perspective before you answer that. That your personal perception is that faking doesn't belong on the main-stage that's ok, but it's still the current truth, whether people on here like it or not.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast