Cheating .... ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheating .... ?

also, if ur djing a 4 hour club night set, ur bound to play the same artists..
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    also, if ur djing a 4 hour club night set, ur bound to play the same artists..
    This isn't necessarily true! I'm sure it could be done without repeating an artist, but it does depend on the venue, the night, et cetera.

I find that mixing the vocals of one song into the instrumental of another song by the same artist, creates a double mint mix for anyone who likes those songs, and especially fans of that artist. To play track A until say, the first breakdown, and then switch to a "Instrumental-A/vocals-B" mix, and then end with the second half of track B, could be well executed and not come off as "cheating".
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

I myself don't like to play tune a by the same artist as tune b is coming in by the previous artist. I don't know why, it just seems uncreative to me, like you can't move on or think about which tune would go next so you have to rely on that same guy. BUT I realise of course they're two different songs that will sound completely different. It's just a thing I have in my head...
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

i usually stick to the 3 track/artist max guidleines in a set. again, there are no rules for this stuff
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

If you dig it and so do the listeners than who cares man. I used to avoid playing the same person's tunes twice when I first started. After diving into production and having a few releases, IM happy when I hear two of my tunes played back to back. Especially when everyone is digging it. Who is anyone out there to judge what makes people happy? Express yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I know a lot of top 40 DJs who think mixing two tracks by the same artist is an absolute travesty that should be punishable by death.
    that and playing the same songe more than once in a set
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    that and playing the same songe more than once in a set
    ehh idk if this applies. many top 40 clubs have different pushes of crowds. the club i play at has a 10-12 crowd and then a 12-2 crowd. most people dont stay in one club where i dj at, its a huge area of close bars so they bar hop, so your bound to repeat songs, but i would never do it the same time in 3 hours. so if you played a song at 10, u can play it at 1ish, but never within 2 hours.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Mentor

I wouldn't say it was lazy or cheating at all, in fact quite the opposite. It's a great thing to do and shows that your tracks have relationships with one another, kind of like playing a musical family tree.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Tech Guru

On topic, has anyone listened to Hardwells ultra set? He finished on a song and mixed it into a remix of the same song. Sounded great!

Tech Mentor

Not at all. Look at the latest Sasha mix album. It's ALL Sasha remixes, and sounds superb.

But then again, you aint Sasha, so probably wouldn't get away with it on the same scale.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast