no money is music? no wonder... here is one reason why - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

legit tracks or bootleg uploads? because they should be reported in that case.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

what was the exact question you asked him? It could just be a case of wording, you say he said he only buys music from beatport, maybe he does.

Obi Wan says "These are not the problems you are looking for. Move along.... move along..."

(don't let the little things get you down)

I don't see a problem with this at all.

He's playing less mainstream music (Beatport top 100) and more orignal songs with more flavor...

Tech Wizard

I find that really un-proffesional .. especially when applying for a radio station? like fuck wheres your common sense

As long as they are paying for tracks, or digging for free tracks... as long as the sound quality is solid, I really don't see an issue with this.

It's modern day digging at it's finest. You're going to find some of the stuff you want on beatport, and other things via soundcloud and other means. Doesn't mean you are doing it wrong. In fact that will give you more depth over time. Tracks are /expensive/ and it's a fact if you're keeping up with it. Honestly? I don't think I've ever bought a single moombah or trap song (and probably never will) because I primarily keep up with breaks and dnb. But that doesn't mean when I come across a good free tune on soundcloud I don't download it. I've done a couple mixes with /just/ shit I've gotten from soundcloud. A big part of it is actually making sure things are tagged correctly and the file quality is alright.

I wouldn't worry about it. And he wasn't lying, probably all the tracks he buys he gets from beatport.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

As a Dj/Producer the sound cloud argument continues. I personally don't see anything wrong with this and this is why.

1. The producer wants to get his stuff out there, to make a name for himself. And there is no better price than free. People eat free stuff up all day long.
    2. Usually producers don't put ALL their secrets out on sound cloud. They usually hold back a few sounds or layouts/instrumentals for their own shows to jazz them up and separate them from everyone downloading their free tracks. Think of the created work flow and the ability to mash up and mix a crazy set from multiple tracks that one has created. Sound cloud currently does not have work flow downloads.
    3. The DJ in question probably likes sound cloud for the variety of tracks that are not top 40 or mainstream.

I have been listening to UMF all week in Miami, and I must say I am very disappointed at how many of the top DJ's play the "popular" tracks. It seems like all the top names seem to play the same songs.

Although lying about it is where I have a problem. If you just spoke up and said, I find free tunes for variety and get their names out there sounds a whole lot better than telling people you are a beatport shopper.

Personally I don't think shopping at beatport makes you a DJ. Even though apparently it is very hip to say you shop there or the standard answer to the always popular question "Where do you buy your music".
    Last edited by quality control; 03-24-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    13" MBP | Xone DB2 | Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 X Denon DN-S3700 | NUmark TTX| NI MASCHINE MK2 | ABLETON PUSH

Tech Wizard

playing free music is like using a laptop other than apple or using hardware other than pioneer or NI, it proves you are not willing to invest in becoming a real dj with the same great as anyone else! these people are breaking with tradition and don't deserve to be called a dj!

no seriously the only thing that matters: do you or do you not like his music?

Quote Originally Posted by stijn View Post
    playing free music is like using a laptop other than apple or using hardware other than pioneer or NI, it proves you are not willing to invest in becoming a real dj with the same great as anyone else! these people are breaking with tradition and don't deserve to be called a dj!

no seriously the only thing that matters: do you or do you not like his music?
    i didnt know, in order to be a dj, my sources of finding songs have to be done the "right" way. c'mon youre telling me i cant be a dj if i dont buy my music from beatport, etc? djs put out free music everyday, look at a-trak. not all his songs but a lot of it and it's released on soundcloud.

and that is a poor analogy. you simply cant compare playing free music and playing bought music with using a laptop or Pioneer CDjs/NI. that is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by sicnarf033 View Post
    i didnt know, in order to be a dj, my sources of finding songs have to be done the "right" way. c'mon youre telling me i cant be a dj if i dont buy my music from beatport, etc? djs put out free music everyday, look at a-trak. not all his songs but a lot of it and it's released on soundcloud.

and that is a poor analogy. you simply cant compare playing free music and playing bought music with using a laptop or Pioneer CDjs/NI. that is ridiculous.
    He was being sarcastic

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast