CDJ-2000 nexus.. any tips for counting bars/phrases?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default CDJ-2000 nexus.. any tips for counting bars/phrases?

Hey guys, so I LOVE my new CDJ-2000 nexus setup, yet I'm having some difficulty in counting bars/phrases with the on-screen LCD..

I come from a Traktor background where it's ridiculously easy to see changes in the waveform with tools like the Infrared Spectrum which shows which parts of the wave have bass, etc.. Also, the wave would be much bigger and easier to navigate on Traktor VS on the CDJ's.. on Traktor, all my timing and phrasing was perfect, but I'm just having trouble figuring out a good way to do my counting/timing on the CDJ's..

I know that you can save up to 10 memory points on the song, and the CDJ display will show a "bar countdown" in between memory points, indicating how far you are from the next memory point.. but without having to go through the tedious work of entering in a memory point at every single change in the song, do you guys have any better recommendations?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tech Mentor

Can you count to 4? Do that.

1,2,3,4, 2,2,3,4, 3,2,3,4, 4,2,3,4...
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Guru

Traktor cannot countdown phrases without set cuepoints so I don't see how you can expect the CDJs to do so.

You have the flashing phrase meter at the top which should be enough, otherwise just set cuepoints for your playlist beforehand.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

i am slowly starting to believe OP is trolling with the amount of threads he started recently, or he just didn't bother learning any of the basics.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post

+1000000000

Phrasing is one of the most important parts of DJ'ing and you should know your tracks well enough that you dont need a waveform display to show you where the sections are.

You should be able to hear and feel where things are happening - DJ'ing is an Audio Sport, Not Visual (unless you count looking at the ladies :P )

Its like requiring a VU to show you visually that your sound is clipping when there has been nothing but distortion out of the speakers the past 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post

I was going to post the exact same thing...thank you for doing it for me
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    +1000000000

Phrasing is one of the most important parts of DJ'ing and you should know your tracks well enough that you dont need a waveform display to show you where the sections are.

You should be able to hear and feel where things are happening - DJ'ing is an Audio Sport, Not Visual (unless you count looking at the ladies :P )

Its like requiring a VU to show you visually that your sound is clipping when there has been nothing but distortion out of the speakers the past 2 hours.
    Agreed.. Use your ears, know your music... A lot of my practicing is spent learning all the new stuff I have bought and figuring out how it fits with the stuff I already have in my library.

This is one of the fundamentals....
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

especially with house music. its really easy to count. its all about training your ear and knowing the fundamentals. have to remember, djs 10-15 years ago didnt have a screen to tell them anything.

man, talking about this makes me feel old. that, and probably cause technology is moving wayyyy too fast.

Lip,
    By now you've created at least half a dozen threads asking extremely basic questions.
    At first I helped you, so did a lot of other folks, but by now it comes across as plain laziness.

You don't want to read manuals, you don't want to google, you don't even bother trying your equipment before posting another thread.
    You don't even want to set memories in RekordBox. There is even an app on OSX that can convert your Traktor cues to Rekordbox cues and you didn't bother to look for that. You simply posted another thread.

Why in Gods name did you buy your kit?
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
    Lip,
    By now you've created at least half a dozen threads asking extremely basic questions.
    At first I helped you, so did a lot of other folks, but by now it comes across as plain laziness.

You don't want to read manuals, you don't want to google, you don't even bother trying your equipment before posting another thread.
    You don't even want to set memories in RekordBox. There is even an app on OSX that can convert your Traktor cues to Rekordbox cues and you didn't bother to look for that. You simply posted another thread.

Why in Gods name did you buy your kit?
    +100000000

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast