Ableton Push replacing MIDI Keyboard/ Synth
    Tech Guru

Default Ableton Push replacing MIDI Keyboard/ Synth

Anyone have a Push and find that it's a capable midi keyboard replacement?

I have an LPK25, but it's just too cramped. I'm contemplating getting a 49 or 61 keyboard, but if I can replace the keyboard with a Push I'd rather go that direction for the awesome scale stuff.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

They just started to ship the pre-orders today, so I don't think you'll get any direct comparisons

The scale features of the push are definitely cool, but I don't think they will replace a keyboard. I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. I come from a piano background, so I like to noodle around on the keys, plus you can play with two hands. The push seems like a neat way to come up with some melodies you might not have thought up by using patterns of pads. I don't see one replacing the other.

Also, if you get a 49 key midi keyboard, you'll probably get some nice faders and other controls on it as well. I have the Axiom 49, it works nicely with Live.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel View Post
    They just started to ship the pre-orders today, so I don't think you'll get any direct comparisons

The scale features of the push are definitely cool, but I don't think they will replace a keyboard. I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. I come from a piano background, so I like to noodle around on the keys, plus you can play with two hands. The push seems like a neat way to come up with some melodies you might not have thought up by using patterns of pads. I don't see one replacing the other.

Also, if you get a 49 key midi keyboard, you'll probably get some nice faders and other controls on it as well. I have the Axiom 49, it works nicely with Live.
    I come from a piano background as well, but I never really composed on the piano so I'm not sure if I'd really use the ability to play with two hands to its fullest capability on a 49 key.

I guess I really want a Push because it's just a flat out PITA trying to decide which keyboard to buy :P

I really thought people would have had their Pushes by now. Guess not! We'll see in a week or so then I guess.

im in the same boat as you. im waiting to see what people say about the push and maybe see some performance videos before i really decide. so far it looks promising, but i also dont mind picking up a midi controller like akai25. if it all seems worth the while, then ill drop the extra $$$ for it.

Tech Guru

Guitar Center has a lot of cheap 49 keyboards for ~100 bucks so I might just pick one of those up.

I just feel that 25 keys is too little to work easily. I'm constantly shifting octaves when I'm trying to match up bass lines with melodies.

I know Tom Cosm is just an Ableton phenom... but he makes it look so easy. Easily replacing a keyboard:

He was also a Jazz Pianist major.

And to one up Tom Cosm...

Last edited by SlvrDragon50; 03-25-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Flight of the Bumblebee on a Push?

That is just amazing. Cannot wait to get mine.

I'm not going to be completely ditching my traditional keyboard though.